UKC

Resoler comparable to fixarock (Greece)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 20 Apr 2022

It looks like George has unfortunately packed up shop at Fixarock and I was wondering if anyone knows of someone who offers a similar service?

I usually use Llanberis Resoles for most stuff as they do an excellent job, but I used George on occasion as he could fully rebuild my Miura VS for approx £50 - new P3 platform & a full new sole unit rather than cutting the sole.

Cheers

Cake 21 Apr 2022
In reply to Tigger:

Threads about missing this famous George periodically come up. The answer IIRC is, "no-one is as good as George."

I have been happy with Feet First, Chesterfield for Scarpas but I don't have to pay for postage as I can drive there. 

OP Tigger 22 Apr 2022
In reply to Cake:

Thanks, I've been reaching the same conclusion unfortunately. Though I have come across this company, they seem to offer the same sort of service as George. It may be viable if multiple pairs were being sent.

https://shoedoctor.eu/en/price-list-2/

Moacs 22 Apr 2022
In reply to Tigger:

€55 shipping.  Thanks Brexit

Andypeak 22 Apr 2022
In reply to Tigger:

I've not found anywhere even close for technical shoes. Llanberis about the best in the UK but not even close to the standard of George. 

mike reed 23 Apr 2022
In reply to Andypeak:

Oh come on!
George was great, yes, but nobody is perfect and everyone can have an off day. 
The Slovenian guys at ShoeDoctor do some of the best work I’ve ever seen in the EU area, and I’ve seen most.
There’s a couple of new resolers who are doing good work, again you’ll need to post and wait, but High Point in Thessaloniki look great so far. 
Fact is, any resoler with company official spare parts should be worth sending your shoes too. They wouldn’t get the gig if they weren’t good enough. 
In the UK Llanberis and Feet First are really good at what they do. 

In reply to Tigger:

George has up sticks and move to the USA, Not sure if he is going to do resoles there, but I am guessing it will be too expensive to post.

Watching with Interest as never found anyone as good as George.

mike reed 24 Apr 2022
In reply to ecrinscollective:

See above!

Also, curious as to why there are 3 dislikes??

Post edited at 08:16
In reply to mike reed:

ShoeDoctor is going to be my next try I think, I have never heard of High point I will check them out. Another friend recommend a guy is spin but I don't have the details to hand.

For the George standard, I get what you're saying, he can't be unique and there must be other as good out there. But in nearly 30 years of climbing, I have had lots of resoles (I have odd size feet and buy two sizes and then resole them till they can't take any more) and George has been hands down the best, I've tried loads in the uk when I lived there and a few in France before finding George. it wasn't just the standard but his willingness to take on hard to do stuff. my local shop sends to a resoler and he will only do a resole, no rand work or any other repairs.

Any way he has moved to be nearer family, so time to try someone else, thanks for the suggestions and I also don't know why the dislikes? 

Derek Furze 24 Apr 2022
In reply to ecrinscollective:

If you're in France you could consider the resole service at Boldrini's place.  I send my Boldrini's back for resoles as I like their rubber, but I know they do all types.  I can't offer any comparison as that's all I have done for years now.

robert-hutton 24 Apr 2022
In reply to Tigger:

I now use feet-first which are as good as George but way longer wait.

Cake 24 Apr 2022
In reply to robert-hutton:

> I now use feet-first which are as good as George but way longer wait.

If you take the shoes to him, he often seems to get it done in a week or two.

OP Tigger 24 Apr 2022
In reply to Moacs:

Yea I noticed, thus my multiple pairs comment. With George we waited until a few of us need the work doing then sent out a batch.

I'll probably do similar with shoedoctor, wait until I've got 5+ pairs that need sending and see what happens. Though I'm unsure how having work done in the EU will be effected by tax laws tbh?

robert-hutton 24 Apr 2022
In reply to Cake:

> If you take the shoes to him, he often seems to get it done in a week or two.

They have a pair still from February

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...