UKC

Ripped shoes - side rubber - resoling ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tom.dodo 05 Apr 2013
Hi,
I've got a pair of Boreal climbing shoes. The right one has a hole on the inside tip, between fabric and rubber.
See pictures here:
<a href="https://plus.google.com/photos/111993290938365083258/albums/586346379673669...">https://plus.google.com/photos/111993290938365083258/albums/586346379673669...

bought them April 2010, used them a little until 2012 (i.e. once a month or even less at times), then got serious and used them more (twice a month then even more than that since mid-2012).
I've mostly used them at the indoor wall, a few times on grit. I'd say 85% indoors, 15% outdoors.

I've looked after them, letting them air out after intensive use but always in the shade etc.
The bottom part of the sole and everything else still looks pretty solid, as does the left shoe, it's only the right one that has the problem (I always wear right shoes more).

I was wondering:
In your opinion, looking at the pics, is it worth having them resoled/repaired? (pics are not very good, taken them with the phone)
Or shall I just ditch them and go for a new pair?

Any recommendations on prices or places where to take them to if I go down the resoling route? I'm based in Leeds/Yorkshire but I move about over the North relatively often.

Thanks,
Tommaso
(from Horsforth, Leeds)
 Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to tom.dodo: Given where the split is, I'd probably keep them for climbing inside- my indoor (rare) shoes are awful, it's really only standing on a chunk of plastic.

I'd then have a spanking new pair that I only used outside; this way they wont get trashed inside on the plastic.

If you do want to resole- Llanberis resoles are excellent apparently (and quick).

C
OP tom.dodo 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:
> (In reply to tom.dodo) Given where the split is, I'd probably keep them for climbing inside- my indoor (rare) shoes are awful, it's really only standing on a chunk of plastic.
>
> I'd then have a spanking new pair that I only used outside; this way they wont get trashed inside on the plastic.

I thought about that, but for some reason I would have done it the other way around (i.e. new ones for indoors and old ones for outside). But I'm a newbie still, my reasoning was that I'd keep the old ones for outside as they'd get trashed more on gritty grit.

However, you made me think that it's probably best to have better shoes for the little polished holds outside, and use the old ones indoors.

>
> If you do want to resole- Llanberis resoles are excellent apparently (and quick).

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to tom.dodo: Personally I don't think new shoes are needed inside; I've never used decent shoes inside. I'd much rather have nice new shoes in good nick when climbing outside rather than inside.

Have you thought about resoling your indoor shoes (£30ish) and then getting some new ones for outside when you have the cash available- if you climb inside your shoes will get trashed pretty quick; I like to have a separate pair for inside (usually my knackered ex outside shoes)!

C
 machine 05 Apr 2013
In reply to tom.dodo:

I got my Scarpa boosters re-sold at Cheshire shoe repairs. It didn't cost a lot and they did a really good job, I would use them again. Just phone them up and let them know you are sending your shoes and which type of sole you prefer, then post your shoes to them with an enclosed cheque and Bobs your uncle. I always keep a good pair of 5.10s just for outdoors and use Scarpa shoes for indoors as I climb indoors at least twice a week and I think the vibram soles are made of a harder compound and seem to last a bit longer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...