UKC

REVIEW: Rob Greenwood's Bouldering 'Essentials'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 21 Dec 2017
How many is too many?, 4 kbSome say that bouldering, due to its elegant simplicity, is the purest form of climbing. Maybe that was once the case, but it certainly isn't now, with a plethora of products available that make a trad climber's rack look straightforward.

Read more
 mrchewy 21 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

You can't beat consistent use of Lizzy Arden. Nice to see it in print, I can now provide proof when regaling randoms about it's benefits.
 UKB Shark 21 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:
'
Gel toe caps!! Brilliant. I've been taping my painfully bunioned toes recently in order to toe hook but this is next level. Thanks Rob
 Ramon Marin 21 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

You forgot electric socks and electric gloves to stay warm between goes
 Offwidth 21 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Did I really read that and overlook any mention of a Beanie? Keeps the hair in check, stops the sweat dripping into the eyes, keeps climbing stalkers from recognising one so easily etc etc. Modern boulderering wimps like me who sometimes wear a helmet (also missing) need a super outsized version to fit over the top. Another missing item is the fine mist spray waterer to add the water that the fan removes: hence cooling the rock due to the latent heat of evaporation (why bouldrring on grit after rain in summer can gain increases in friction ). I'm very dissapointed in you overlooking such basics Rob.
 Asher Collins 21 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

What about a specific outdoor bouldering rucksack (different from your indoor bag, rope bag and climbing bag obviously)? You can't just carry all that lot in any old bag.

I can already hear the article on indoor climbing essentials, it's basically writing it's self...
In reply to ukb & bmc shark:

> Gel toe caps!! Brilliant. I've been taping my painfully bunioned toes recently in order to toe hook but this is next level. Thanks Rob

I paused to mull the feasibility of that one as well - bunions (and in cold weather chilblains) have me taping my toes too - "bicycle moves" on indoor roofs are blimmin' agony.
 Mbowell 22 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter! Our bouldering essentials are a beach tent and a tablet computer so the kids can keep warm and watch telly.
Post edited at 00:39
In reply to ukb & bmc shark:

I think these could be my favourite item on the list, because even though the fan gains the award for 'most outrageous purchase' it is something I could have - if I'd have broadened my mind - seen coming. The gel toe caps were a total surprise, as I'd never heard of anyone using them - or even guessed that they would be of use!!

It is will come as no surprise, however, that I got the tip-off from Jon Fullwood...

Here's a link to the ones he recommended too: https://zentoes.com/products/gel-toe-cap-and-protector-pack-of-6
 RobertHepburn 22 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

I bring anti-midge/insect spray and nail clippers (also useful for skin/flappers).

I also go for a full size towel, especially when visiting tidal beach venues so I can dry holds. Never thought of a fan - heard of people using a blowtorch but always thought that was a step too far ...

steveriley 22 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Snacks! Cake, coffee, hot ribena, I could go on. Perhaps a stovetop espresso and make a palaver of the whole business.
 ianstevens 22 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

I find the use of a ladder an absolute disgrace to the ethics of brushing. Brushing an out-of-reach hold should be a minimum of 4 times harder than doing the actual problem.
 Ardo 22 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

I can't take an article written by somebody who doesn't know the difference between a beer mat and a beer towel seriously!
 danm 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Ardo:

Oh he knows alright, he was just caught up in the giddy excitement of putting this very amusing article together.

Wrt to fans, Ryan made a contraption involving a fan on a stick when he was trying Mutations at the Tor, so he could dry out a critical hold. The rock gods took a dim view of such heresy and have to date not allowed a successful redpoint for the lanky one, or anyone else either.
In reply to UKC Gear:

Should have just used the hidden Kyloe ladder. Every crag should have one.
 BrendanO 23 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Jetboil for teamaking. Jaffa cakes. Home-made soup or cakes. Extra person to make tea/take photos. Local knowledge of cafes/bakeries/pie shop.
 Chris Harris 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Asher Collins:

> What about a specific outdoor bouldering rucksack?

At the very least, you need something to put your top in when you take it off....

julesmckim 23 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Great article! Blimey, it's complicated. Must add a few beer mats to my sack - I never knew! Besides the trusty Tetleys Beer Towel a few mats should really help. I guess they can even be folded and placed under the corners of my bouldering mat to get it dead level?
 RupertD 23 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:
No mention of a digital humidity meter? This strikes me as a bit of a beginner's list.
Post edited at 19:05
 Misha 24 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:
A mini flamethrower for drying holds would be good.

Not bouldering but saw a guide phone a mate from the summit of the Droites to ask where the descent ab line went. Which was handy as it wasn’t very obvious and we weren’t too sure either.
 Pete O'Donovan 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Great article Rob.

I've been using gel toe caps for about ten years now, not for bouldering but because even for moderate routes in not particulary tight shoes, some of my toes rebel (painfully!) against the abuse I subjected them to earlier in life i.e the cripplingly tight shoes any self-respecting climber had wear in the 80's and 90’s.
 angry pirate 25 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

No mention of the enormous down jacket that you have to wear between sends? Covered in duct tape (or spinnaker tape if you're hardcore).
Bonus points if you wear it for the walk in too.
 mrchewy 25 Dec 2017
In reply to angry pirate:

I've moved on - I use kinesiology tape nowadays in a fetching shade of blue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...