UKC

Rope colours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 11 Mar 2013
Why do websites advertise pair deals on ropes that either aren't that different in colour or are a bit different but you don't know what to call them. Can you imagine being seriously run out, trying to fiddle in a nut, and shouting "slack on the slightly lighter shade of speckled green"?

I'm buying a new pair soon and I reckon I'm going for Mammut Genesis. Blue and red. Simples
ice.solo 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

agree totally.

even under low light they still dont differentiate enough in my opinion, but at least half way there.
Wiley Coyote2 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:
It could be worse. We bought some ropes in an auction after a local shop went bust. The auctioneer, knowing nothing about climbing, parcelled the ropes up in matching pairs!
OP bpmclimb 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Our last purchase was Edelrid Kestrels. Sort of vague yellow and red, but basically both grey
 Mr.Ric 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: I got the genesis because of this too!

My mate climbs with two ropes which not only look very similar in colour they're an indeterminate blue/green. He insists blue I say green. I don't climb with him anymore.
 Jonny2vests 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

Yeah. I prefer colours that are distinct and have one syllable names.
 Dervey 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: and red should always go on the right!
 GrahamD 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

In general I'll be climbing with one of my ropes and one of my partners. "mine" and "yours" works well then.
 Reach>Talent 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:
I used to climb with a friend who had ropes that were called "death" and "cat sick", which at least meant you didn't get confused by any other pairs calls.
I like Mammuts colours although I seem to remember the names are a bit odd, isn't the blue one "sand"? Another friend has a bright pink joker that he insists is red so calls at the crag tend to sound like "Slack on red", "Sorry do you mean pink?"...
 Robert Durran 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

"Take in Vermillion, slack on Veridian........ ", or something like that wasn't it?
 Blue Straggler 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

Bill and Ted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...