UKC

Rope help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Darkskys 30 Jan 2013
I'm possibly looking at buying a new rope, I've only ever climbed with 35m and use it for general mountaineering, if I was to go for something a little longer would this be any good?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/edelrid-10mm-python-climbing-rope-50m-p96345
 LucaC 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Darkskys: It would be fine for general use, but I would definitly get a dry treated rope for mountaineering, as it is more likely to be used in all weathers as opposed to a dry cragging day. Personally I would go slightly thinner for mountaineering, say a beal joker, but that's personal preference (and owning several ropes).
 alooker 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Darkskys: you don't say what you'll be using it for
OP Darkskys 30 Jan 2013
In reply to LJC: never even thought of that which is quite worrying as I'm sure the one I've been using for a few years isn't dry treated.
Just had a quick look at the joker, which is quite expensive is heir anything cheaper that's been dry treated?

Thank you for the info LJC
OP Darkskys 30 Jan 2013
In reply to alooker: general mountaineering all year round pal
 mrchewy 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Darkskys: All the Edelrid ropes I've used have been great and I purchased a pair of Merlins that I'm happy with.
Despite it's amazingly cheap price - I'd be tempted to get a 60m single if I could. I find my 50m single doesn't get used too much.
OP Darkskys 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Darkskys: I chose the 50 as I think it'd be more useful, but on th back of that it might be useful having that extra length
In reply to Darkskys:

At that price from Go Outdoors, I'd snap it up, and QUICKLY before they sell out, assuming you are intending to just us it in Summer conditions. It is stupidly cheap - in fact I can't get 10mm rope that cheap at trade price even by bulk buying it 1000metres at a time, direct from manufacturers!

However, I'm not sure if you noticed but it is a sale item and only available at that price at one store - Thurrock! So you probably end up needing to look elsewhere.

For Winter use, you would definitely want a dry treated rope, but for Summer use it is useful but by no means essential. 10mm is a decent thickness for a 50m rope but if you to look at a 60m rope, I'd certainly suggest getting a thinner and lighter one in the range 9.4mm-9.8mm.
 LucaC 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Darkskys: I would say go for a 60m too. A little more useful, and many absail stations on the continent are set up for 30m raps. If I knew it was going to be a moving together classic alpinism kind of route, would probably go shorter and thinner, but again that's personal choice. You won't notice the benefit of dry treatment if you are out in good weather, but it really helps stop your rope becoming heavy and wet, and then worse, freezing.
OP Darkskys 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Darkskys: cheers chaps
 LaMentalist 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Darkskys:

The Edelrid 10mm python seems like a decent rope & handles quiet well my buddy uses one . Does seem quite soft to me though but good price .

Have you seen this one ; http://www.theepicentre.co.uk/climbing-c120/ropes-c225/tendon-ropes-smart-1...

i like tendon ropes too but not used the one above .

Best handling rope I've used to date is probably a skinny ( 9.4mm I think ) Edelweiss just felt really good but have heard its not wearing so well but it was being used on long sport routes six days a week all over the place , lots of redpointing too so that could explain that .

Would personally recommend at least 60mtrs as well .
 jkarran 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Darkskys:

If you're going to use it like your previous one and it's of similar spec then it'll be fine (assuming your current rope serves you well enough).

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...