UKC

Scarpa Rebel Ultra Gtx / Law Sportiva Batura 2.0

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brian Pollock 12 Aug 2013
Does anyone know of any shops that stock the new Scarpa Rebel Ultra Gtx or Law Sportiva Batura 2.0? Or does anyone own a pair?

I'm looking for an indication of sizing.

I wear a 41 in La Sportiva Trango Alps with a snug fit. 42s are too big for me in both Scarpa and La Sportiva boots so I suspect I'm around a 41-41.5.
 Rick Armitage 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Brian Pollock: Hi Brian. I have a pair of rebel ultras. These boots are designed to give a snug technical fit. Superior comfort for a boot of this caliber. Super light too.

In respect to sizing, I have a pair of Sportiva Trango s evos. and I'm 43.5 in these.

I'm 43 in Rebel Lites, but a 43.5 in the Ultras. This takes into account a slightly thicker sock.

The Rebel Ultras are not as warm as the Phantom guides/ Batura 2.0. This does give the option however for using them for Summer Alpine a well as Cascade/ Scottish Winter.

If you can find some to try on you won't want to take them off.
 Graeme Barr 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Brian Pollock: Tiso had Rebel Lites in Perth a few weeks ago if thats any help.
 Col Kingshott 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Brian Pollock: I buy a 42 in the trango Evo's but wear a 42.5 in both Nepal Evo's and Batura 2.0's. I only use the trango's in summer so size up a bit for thicker socks and a tiny bit of toe movement. I used the baturas extensively the season just gone and loved them. Good to climb in and nice for the walk in as well.

Can't comment on the scarpa's. Cotswold will normally order them both for you to try.

Col.
fil-p 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Rick Armitage: hi rick. Where did you get the rebels from, and would you say they're the same warmth as the phantom ultras ? Cheers phil
OP Brian Pollock 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Rick Armitage: Hi Rick, thanks I suspect a 41.5 might be best in the ultras. Have you had much chance to use the ultras yet? I'm interested to know how they compare to other boots you've had in terms of performance? Also, whether warmth or durability is an issue at all?

If I do decide to splash out about £400 on boots I'd like them to last a fair while. At the same time I've tried indestructible boots like the Nepals and the weight is off putting.

I might give Cotswolds a call and see if they'd be willing to get in some Baturas and Rebel Ultras to try on. We'll see.
fil-p 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Brian Pollock: how soon so you need them as the new Nepal cubes look awesome and are supposed to be a lot lighter
OP Brian Pollock 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Brian Pollock:

I'm going to need them this winter.

I'm wondering if it's really worth getting boots like the batura 2.0s for £400+ when something like the Trango Extremes would do fine for Scottish winter and summer alpine at about half the price.

However, I am of the mind of buying once and buying right the first time. Assuming I would be using them year in year out for Scottish Winter, Alps in Summer and some sporadic Euro ice. Is there any clear advantages to getting something like the Batura 2.0s or even Rebel Ultras over something cheaper like a Trango Extreme/Jorasses?

I am on the fence at the moment. Bearing in mind I don't want to have to buy new boots again next year and I am hoping to do serious technical climbing pushing my grade.

fil-p 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Brian Pollock: must admit, I love my trango extremes. Theyre the only b3 ive had that are comfy straight out of the box, which is strange as ive wide feet. Only went for the guides with being warmer. Only thing I've heard about the batura 2's are that the Velcro can sometimes ice up and then it starts becoming unfastened

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...