UKC

Scottish Winter/Summer Alpine Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevez 09 Jan 2019

Looking to get a pair of 'do it all' boots that are fit for winter walking, Scottish winter climbing up to grade III/IV, and Summer Alpine climbing up to grade AD.

Always been a fan of Scarpa so like the look of the Ribelle Lite ODs, but would welcome any other recommendations.

Smythson 09 Jan 2019
In reply to stevez:

The Ribelle is a very light boot designed more for the fast and light alpine style routes. Have a look at a pair in the flesh - they have thin soles and are made of lightweight materials which are not likely to be especially hard-wearing or warm. For Scottish walking something like the manta / pro is warm and hard wearing. They work for Scottish climbing too. If you find them too heavy for climbing try Charmoz which are slightly lighter and more breathable for summer Alpine. Personally I am looking at buying Ribelle's but only for long alpine routes and keeping the Charmoz for hacking about easy Alpine routes and Scotland. 

Safe travels,

S

KRH 24 Jan 2019
In reply to stevez:

If your still looking for a pair of Ribelle I have a pair of size 9 brand new for sale. Unused gift 

tehmarks 25 Jan 2019
In reply to stevez:

One of my climbing partners has just bought a pair of Ribelle Lites and used them for a week in the Cairngorms with no real warmth complaints. I have a pair of Trango Extremes (no longer made I think), which have also been good for both summer alpine and Scottish winter.

It all depends on what fits your foot though.

OP stevez 25 Jan 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I ordered both Ribelle Lites and Charmoz and went with the Charmoz as felt they fitted slightly better.  Both great boots, especially for just over £200.

TobyA 25 Jan 2019
In reply to stevez:

Editor Dan is beavering away on the big UKC B2 boot review and chivvying us slow contributing-reviewers along to get our copy in! So if you can hang on a week I think the deadline is, you can read reviews of the Ribelles a long with a bunch of other possibles. For instance I'm doing the AKU Tengu GTX which I could see doing all the things that you want. They're impressively light for all rounders too. But other possibles in the review from Hanwag, Dolomite, Mammut and other slightly less well known brands in the UK too.

andyd1970 25 Jan 2019
In reply to stevez:

I suppose it also depends on how high your going in the Alps in regards to warmth and what crampon your happy climbing in

If your looking at B2 boots the Scarpa Manta pro GTX are worth a look

I use La sportiva Nepal extremes for high alpine stuff/ Scottish winter and la sportiva Trango s evo for rock and lower level alpine stuff

GStone 26 Jan 2019
In reply to stevez:

I’m really happy with my new Nepal Cube GTX. They are so light I’ll use them for high Alpine stuff too. I had the old Nepal’s before and used those for Scottish winter and alpine and they were great. I will probably still get a B1/2 pair for scrambling which would also cover low level alpine too. But the Cubes get a thumbs up.

allanscott 28 Jan 2019
In reply to stevez:

I had a pair of Charmoz which leaked badly after very light use over two winters in Scotland. Took em back to shop got full refund(!) Replaced with Lowa Cevedales and now I think tongue is leaking on them (also lightly used). Maybe new Charmoz are tougher?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...