UKC

Shoe glue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 16 Jan 2019

Is there a good type of glue for shoes?

Specifically for sticking a bit of rand back onto a fabric shoe. Would it also be suitable for sticking soles back on? I suppose cobblers must have suitable stuff to stick them together in the first place!

wbo 16 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury: Superglue gel in my experience, but better suggestions would be good to know.  Shoe-goo was not very good at all - too tacky, stringy to apply

starbug 16 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

https://www.climbers-shop.com/1985331/products/freesole-shoe-repair-glue.as...

Lots of others on the market as well try putting shoe rand adhesives into Google for options but Freesole works well.

Also similar has been asked on the forum before:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/best_glue_for_climbing_shoe_minor_re...

ebdon 16 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Mcnett freesole

Although tbh I have never had much luck with serious repairs but this works if you catch it before the shoe has properly fallen to bits

I have also 2 part expoxys with varying degrees of success 

blurty 16 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Shoe goo is good stuff (works on climbing shoes too)

You can get it from Amazon etc

Jon Greengrass 16 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Cobblers use contact adhesive, that's what the distinctive smell in repair shops is.

I resoled one of my rock shoes using Evo-Stick multi purpose impact adhesive last year, been using the shoe twice a week since then with no sign of the sole or rand peeling off.

Post edited at 14:16
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

I have used Seam Grip to good effect on occasions.

I recently fixed a spilt rand with Sugru - I also smeared it on the toe to tidy the job up and was shocked to find it had bugger all friction - ooops. Anyway, the stuff I smeared has worn off but the repair to the split is still holding up well.

Chris

Niall_H 16 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

I'd second ebdon's suggestion of Freesole - it's a bit easier to handle than Shoe Goo and finishes up with a less slippy surface (which is useful if the stuff escapes around your repair!)

Pbob 16 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

If you can still find it in the shops, tub tape works really well. It's what you use to glue tubular bike tyres onto their rims.

Martin Bennett 16 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

I've fixed rock shoes, town shoes, approach shoes and my wife's boots with Shoe Goo. The rock shoes exactly what you describe - rand peeling from fabric - never a hint of peeling since repair. On the running shoes I repaired a large hole in the uppers with a shoe-goo'd patch - again fixed permanently.

wercat 17 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

being flexible shoe glues are quite handy for re-binding books that are coming apart if you are careful!

Useless tip of the day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...