UKC

shoes like katanas but less aggressive heel?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone Muppet 19 Apr 2022

Alas a series of (non climbing related) achilles injuries dictate I seek boots with a less ferocious heel than my beloved 4th pair of Katanas.

This means I'm looking for the same sort of thing but with a milder heel. And velcro. Ideally not costing a fortune, in fact I'm happy to go a little downmarket from katanas in the hope that this is a temporary measure.

Can anyone recommend something to fit the bill?

midgen 20 Apr 2022
In reply to Stone Muppet:

The heel is pretty savage on the Katanas, I have to cut the rand around the heel on one of mine (odd shaped feet) to stop them aggravating my achilles....just the rubber part, not the upper, which relaxes the heel a few mm (or more, if you make several cuts). Might be worth a go if you have some old pairs around.

laughitup 20 Apr 2022

Out of interest was your most recent pair the old or new Katana? I'm having similar issues with my older pair at the minute which is a shame because I've been really enjoying everything else about them. Was thinking about trying the newer version as they have updated the heel a bit but was wondering if anyone else had tried them before shelling out on what still might be a dud.

Dave Garnett 20 Apr 2022
In reply to laughitup:

> Was thinking about trying the newer version as they have updated the heel a bit but was wondering if anyone else had tried them before shelling out on what still might be a dud.

I tried to shift to Katanas to replace my beloved Anasazis and they seemed a good fit in the shop (don't they always?).   It immediately became obvious that they pressed down painfully on my big toe, and, after attempts to stretch the tight area, I eventually gave up on even keeping them just for hard problems on the wall. 

Maybe it's just that they are slightly downturned and are designed to crimp the toes a bit, or maybe I have odd toes or a low pain threshold but I wouldn't be able to wear them for a whole route, never mind a whole day. 

No problems with the heels though.  Size 40 if anyone wants them. 

kevin stephens 20 Apr 2022
In reply to Dave Garnett: I’ve used Katanas for as long as they’ve been around. Recently I’ve gone for larger sizes, much more comfortable and much shorter break in period but they still give me the precision that I need

Iamgregp 20 Apr 2022

I'm a long term Katana wearer, but lost a pair in Kalymnos last year and the shop had sold out of my size so was forced to get a pair of La Sportiva Aragon.

Very similar to the Katana in feel (I felt absolutely at ease with them immediately) but with a slightly more relaxed (maybe wider?) fit. 

I'll go back to Katanas for my next pair, but i reckon these might fit the bill for you. 

OP Stone Muppet 20 Apr 2022
In reply to laughitup:

> Out of interest was your most recent pair the old or new Katana?

Most recent pair is the new one, but practically unworn due to aforementioned injury, so I can't really comment on them.

I cut the heel right off one of the older pairs already Looking for something a bit more convenient to wear now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...