UKC

Simond Mountaineering Pants - which ones?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I know that the Simond Mountaineering Pants get great reviews on here, but I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to the pros and cons of the different types.

1. Simond mountaineering pants

2. Simond Cascade 2 waterproof trousers (softshell with membrane)

3. Simond light Mountaineering trousers

I am looking for something versatile for winter Scottish mountaineering and ski touring in the Alps. On paper the Cascade 2 look the best as they would negate the need to take waterproof overtrousers. Do those who have #1 tend to take overtrousers too or is the DWR sufficient?

Cheers!

Jim Lancs 19 Feb 2020
In reply to jonnygoldsbrough:

I've got an older version of the Simond mountaineering pants. I think they're pretty versatile and can wear them from warmish, Alpine spring days down to pretty grim Scottish days. I do carry over trousers that I wear in heavy rain or winter climbing. But that combination gives the versatility to cover a huge range of conditions.

joem 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Me too, the old ones at least were excellent value for money!

Great, thank you, sounds like #1 would be a solid choice.

Martin W 21 Feb 2020

One observation I would make is that the mountaineering pants (number 1 in your list) used to have crampon/ski patches on the inside of each calf (mine do) but, at least from what I can see on the Decathlon web site, they don't any more.  Which is a shame, but needn't necessarily be a complete showstopper.

I would concur with Jim Lancs: the mountaineering trousers on their own are very good, but it would be wise to carry a lightweight pair of waterproof overtrousers if you expect any significant amount of actual rain to fall.  My mountaineering pants did get a tad damp on the last afternoon of my ski holiday this year, when the snow turned to rain as we approached resort level.  (I hate skiing in rain anyway, so I was aiming to head back to the hotel early anyway.)

Jim Lancs 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin W:

> One observation I would make is that the mountaineering pants (number 1 in your list) used to have crampon/ski patches on the inside of each calf  . . . 

I think they still do. If you look at the last but one close up pictures you can clearly see them.

https://www.simond.com/mens-mountaineering-pants-black-id_8386810

Post edited at 13:28
 steveriley 21 Feb 2020

I've got the older version of 1. as above and I've been pleased with them. You will get wet if it's slashing down so take skimpy waterproofs too. The inner gaiter is a nice touch and works well.

Martin W 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> I think they still do. If you look at the last but one close up pictures you can clearly see them.

So they do.  Good spot!  Blimey though - fifteen pictures of one pair of trousers?!

And also they mention "reinforced lower leg lining" in the description.

I think I need to go to Specsavers...

Babika 21 Feb 2020

A huge plus for me is that the Simond womens version for your no 1 are identical to the mens spec - just cut differently around the hips, waist leg length - so I'm a huge fan even before price is taken into account.

So many brands eg Montane, water down the toughness/availability of the womens version 

olddirtydoggy 21 Feb 2020

We've just been using the #1 mountaineering trousers for a weeks skiing in nice snow on their own. We've just come back from Scotland for some winter climbing and used waterproof Goretex salopette over them to protect against the wet snow and gale force winds.

Quite often we use a mix of options depending on what we're doing and where we're doing it in variable weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...