UKC

Simond Rappel 7.5mm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
deleted user 02 Jan 2019

Does anyone have experience using the 7.5mm Simond Rapels in scottish winter? They seem to be a good price but at 7.5mm seem a little thin...

Jonny 24 Jan 2019
In reply to SamSimpson:

If it's to be used for abseiling, 7.5 mm sounds positively fat to me!

gravy 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Jonny:

I used them in the alps - very light, very thin - use an appropriate belay device. They handle just fine despite a vaguely coarse outer weave and I intend to use them for Scottish winter myself.

They like to tangle when twisted so be aware of this if you use an Italian hitch - I'm not sure this is a Simond thing, maybe it is just a skinny rope thing. 

They are apparently dry treated but I've not tested this.

Main downside is looking down between your legs on lead and wondering if these skinny shoelaces will actually hold you if you fall (answer - yes).

Jonny 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Jonny:

Would those who downvoted my comment care to enlighten me and others about their reasoning, if there is any?

The OP said that 7.5 mm sounded thin to him. Given that rap lines are commonly 6-7 mm, I think otherwise. Used with a super munter, DMM Bugette or similar, one gets plenty of friction and the breaking strength is more than enough for even a bouncy abseil.

Dark-Cloud 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Jonny:

I don’t think it’s an abseil specific rope, that’s just the model name, decribed as a winter and alpine climbing rope on the decathlon website, dry treated too, looks like a bargain price too.

Rick Graham 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Jonny:

> one gets plenty of friction and the breaking strength is more than enough for even a bouncy abseil.

Smart winter climbers and alpinists do not do bouncy abseils

Post edited at 19:02
 Jonny 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Rick Graham:

Exactly! So that's a worst case scenario.

Jonny 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Fair enough. Silly name then, but looks like a decent rope!

tjin 25 Jan 2019
In reply to SamSimpson:

No in Scottish winter, but have in the summer 2017. My complaints:

- Lots of people have non-compatible belay devices. So I got a second microjul. If you are mixing partners, you have to teach them how to use the microjul and that takes time and getting short-roped a lot while leading. (i see lots of newer belay devices now accept these thinner ropes, but not that common 2 years ago)

- I climbed a multipitch on sharp granite with somebody who apparently turned out to be pretty terrible at climbing. Got a core shot in the rope after two pitches. In all fairness for the rope, sharp edges and people hanging in the rope continuously will damage any rope and this is a very thin one. 

- Prussics; slippery! Get some teethed devices for hauling/rescue.

I upgraded to a thicker rope. The Simond is shortened and in regular use with a buddy of mine. He hasn't seen that much additional wear on it. 

Jonny 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Having checked it out, the rope is described as '7.5 MM X 60 M ABSEILING ROPE', and is certified as a half or twin rope. Still don't get how it could be considered 'too thin'.

nniff 25 Jan 2019
In reply to SamSimpson:

IMHO it's just a nonsense name that really doesn't suit the product.  It's not a lot of money and will be made by one of the mainstream manufacturers. 

I'm a bit out of date now, but there were only a couple of manufacturers of the fibre that's used in climbing ropes. Lanex is one, and their climbing ropes were sold for a while under that name but are now sold as Tendon.  I would be a fair bet that Decathlon ropes were made by them.

Anyway, next time you want to tow an oil tanker, you know where to look - Tendon's big brother.

tjin 25 Jan 2019

All my Simond ropes I have used are made in France, so more likely Beal or that other company which i can't remember the name of. 

I have used the 7.5mm rappel and the 9mm triple rated one, all were fine for the intended use. The do only give you the rope and packaging. While others include things like a Velcro tie (tendon, beal) or rope bag (Beal).

alpinist63 25 Jan 2019
In reply to SamSimpson

on c2c someone wrote that the rope is made by cousin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...