UKC

Simond Rock + Climb Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ryan_ID 16 Jan 2019

Hey all!

Checking out a new rope for some UK sport and leading. I have seen the 10mm Simond Rock + Climbing rope (60m) for £70.00.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this rope or if you would suggest any alternatives?

Cheers in advance

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ryan_ID:

I have been using one for a little while and I like it, it is pretty stiff so you need to ensure your knots are good and tight, but it handles well and feels like it will be hard wearing,

Chris

Hat Dude 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ryan_ID:

Go Outdoors are selling the 10mm Mammut Galaxy at £59.00 for 60m

starbug 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ryan_ID:

If budget is the constraint then the Mammut 10.0 Galaxy Classic Climbing Rope 10mm x 60m is a nice rope for the price currently £60 in Go Outdoors.

Personally I like the Petzl Contact for cragging / Sport but at the price of that you are up against the Beal range of single ropes and the choice is not really a budgetary one.

Suncream 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ryan_ID:

I have one, and agree with Chris that it's quite stiff, and it's also not particularly stretchy, but I can't really fault it for the price. I do wish I'd bought something a little lighter in hindsight though.

OP Ryan_ID 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

Perfect, I'll give it a look. Thanks for the heads up!

Bone Idle 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ryan_ID:

I've got a mammut galaxy, it kink's and stretches easily,would not buy again.

Timmd 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Bone Idle:

Stretch can be a good thing, it reduces impact force on gear and the person falling. 

john arran 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> Stretch can be a good thing, it reduces impact force on gear and the person falling. 

There are limits though. We have a pretty sturdy rope - not sure where it came from or which make it is but it's at least 10mm - and if I'm belaying Anne on toprope and she says 'take' I have to leg it 5m or more down the hill just to stop her dropping a similar distance on stretch. And no, she isn't a fat lass!

Pedro50 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Bone Idle:

> I've got a mammut galaxy, it kink's and stretches easily,would not buy again.

I am on my second one, they seem fine to me. Obviously tarped not coiled 

Bone Idle 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

I've been spoiled by a having the use of a tendon smart 10mm, would highly recommend, feed mine out of a foldable laundry basket, works for me.

Timmd 18 Jan 2019
In reply to john arran:

> There are limits though. We have a pretty sturdy rope - not sure where it came from or which make it is but it's at least 10mm - and if I'm belaying Anne on toprope and she says 'take' I have to leg it 5m or more down the hill just to stop her dropping a similar distance on stretch. And no, she isn't a fat lass!

Gosh, and no I'm sure she isn't. 

Post edited at 23:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...