UKC

Single rope recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 02 Apr 2013
For sport and trad....and indoors? ..actually is it worth buying a 30 meter rope to abuse at the wall instead of taking a nice rope down?

Anyway.

I'm looking to buy a general purpose 60 meter single 9.8 ... any recommendations for good deals/good ropes about at the moment? for around £100 ish

thanks

dale1968 02 Apr 2013
 Steve nevers 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Kemics: dicks climbing are doing 30-35 metre edelrid offcuts for @£45 if your after an cheap indoors/tiny single pitch rope.
In reply to Kemics:
> For sport and trad....and indoors? ..actually is it worth buying a 30 meter rope to abuse at the wall instead of taking a nice rope down?

Yes, definitely.

Beal Yuji are currently one of the cheapest ropes around per metre although the new DMM climbing wall specific ropes have been very extensively tested and are likely to be more durable.

> I'm looking to buy a general purpose 60 meter single 9.8 ... any recommendations for good deals/good ropes about at the moment? for around £100 ish

I've generally been looking at thinner ropes, so others might have better advice about ropes around 9.8mm...

The best deal I've seen recently is http://www.rockrun.com/products/Beal-Stinger-Golden-Dry-9.4mm-x-60m.html for £130.

It might be worth looking into prices for Mammut Infinitely 9.5mm as Go Outdoors now stock them and will beat any other price by 10%.
For years I have used Beal ropes after going through very bad experiences with Mammut ones, Beal and Mammut being the only options at my local wall until relatively recently. Beal's are ok ropes... until you try something better

I currently use a Sterling Velocity 9.8. It's the best rope I have ever used. I keep it for the crag and despite it being not cheap I would buy it again since it's still in very good conditions after almost two years.

For the wall I have always used the cheapest rope I could find (typically Mammut's Promo), although I once fell for Beal's Unicore concept (not cheap). Never again.
In reply to ncianca:

What was your issue with unicore?
 neuromancer 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Kemics:

Sticking with the DMM theme, I have a Project that is just about the nicest single I've ever used?
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:
> (In reply to ncianca)
>
> What was your issue with unicore?

Hi, I think it may have been me misunderstanding the whole concept. However, I thought binding the sheath with the core would increase the durability of the rope. In fact, the sheath gave away much faster than with normal cabled ropes until the core was fully exposed. Obviously, in this case, it wasn't traumatic as that's what the Unicore concept is all about. I had a 10.5 mm Wall Master, that is, a rope specifically designed for indoor use which I have used indoor only. It lasted much less than other ropes and cost much more. That's all really. Maybe it works for top roping.
 drsdave 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Kemics:

mate nnedlesports are doing a 50m serenity for 100. bargain
 tallsteve 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Kemics:
Picked up a 60mx10mm Tendon rope from Tiso's website last year. I see they have a 10mm for £85 at the mo.:
http://www.tiso.com/shop/tendon/smart-rope-60m-x-10mm/

Its been fine, though gets tangled easily so you need to lay it carefully and always run it through before climbing.

Ben07 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Kemics: you can get a sterling velocity 60m for £125 from face west.co.uk at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...