UKC

GEAR REVIEW: SnaPack Tarp by TobyA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 05 May 2008
The SnaPack Tarp is essentially a squidgy box with shoulder straps and very little else. It is uncompromisingly designed to do one thing – carry your climbing gear short-ish distances to the bottom of the crag and then help you find the gear you need, as you do routes and move along the cliff for further climbs. It comes with a basic rope tarp to help keep your rope clean once out of the pack.

Read the full review: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=865

If you have a SnaPack Tarp please feel free to add to this review by posting your thoughts on this thread.
 GrahamD 06 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Just for Toby ....
 beardy mike 06 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Great review Toby. Very readable and telling us about what seems to be an excellent piece of kit
 galpinos 06 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

So, I now know that this bag works great as a bag. Whoopdy doo. Fantastic!

Can't we ditch this TobyA fella and have more insightful reviews from people like Tom Ripley?
 TobyA 06 May 2008
In reply to galpinos: Would you like me to spice up my review with suggestion of routes that I haven't done, but that I reckon this bag would be great taking my gear to the bottom of?
 beardy mike 06 May 2008
In reply to TobyA: Yes.
 TobyA 06 May 2008
In reply to mike kann: Okey dokes - I'm going for Realization at Ceuse, Requiem at Dumby, or Bellyful of Bad Berries at Indian Creek.

I now expect someone in the know to point out that "you'd never get all the size 6 camalots for Bellyful in that bag!"

Sorry Tom, your review was perfectly sensible. Blame the micky taking on Mike, not me.
 beardy mike 06 May 2008
In reply to TobyA: What rack WOULD you use for those routes then? And how would you organise it within the bag?
 GrahamD 06 May 2008
In reply to mike kann:

More importantly, can it be organised so as not to squash my pasties (so to speak)?
 beardy mike 06 May 2008
In reply to GrahamD: Its a rucksack, not a fanny pack...
 GrahamD 06 May 2008
In reply to mike kann:

Pasties form a large part of my current rucsac content
 tobyfk 06 May 2008
In reply to TobyA:

Serious question: is the rope tarp inside the bag a separate item, as appears evident from your photos or is the tarp integrated into the bag like a, er, rope bag.
 Wee Tam 06 May 2008
In reply to TobyA:

Toby,

It looks like an interesting concept and for outcrop cragging I bet it would be superb, and at £40 you can't really go wrong.

However, is it really 45 litres? My main bag which gets used for everything is just over 30litres. At a squease I can fit: 2 50metre ropes, rock shoes, chalk bag, harness, rack (12 quickdraws, 2 sets of nuts, set of friends to 4''), Helmet, 1 Litre of water, food, guide book, head torch, first aid kit, hat, waterproofs, pertex, puffball top.

Everything is on the inside.

Do I own a Tardis or is my rucksack bigger than it says it is?
 HeMa 06 May 2008
In reply to Wee Tam:
> Do I own a Tardis or is my rucksack bigger than it says it is?

I'd say it's bigger... Like ~15 or so liters
 TobyA 06 May 2008
In reply to tobyfk:

> Serious question: is the rope tarp inside the bag a separate item, as appears evident from your photos or is the tarp integrated into the bag like a, er, rope bag.

My pic is a bit deceptive - the separate rope bag is indeed a separate rope bag and nothing to do with the SnaPack. The tarp that comes with it is not integrated at all and is basic, a hemmed, black nylon sheet about a metre square and with six webbing tabs around it to tie your rope ends to. No way straps to hold it all together when rolled up or anything else like that. Just a tarp really. It doesn't connect to the pack in anyway, it's almost like a freebie that just happens to come with the bag.

The rope bag in the pic I use when I can get everything in the SnapPack as it is a proper rope bag (Rock Empire) with a shoulder strap for carrying it separately.
 TobyA 06 May 2008
In reply to Wee Tam: It's got to be bigger hasn't it? I doubt I could get _two_ half ropes and full rack, helmet, harness and clothes into some of my packs which are in the 40-50 ltr range!
 tobyfk 07 May 2008
In reply to TobyA:
> Just a tarp really. It doesn't connect to the pack in anyway, it's almost like a freebie that just happens to come with the bag.

Does the tarp have a logo? That would seem important.

Is it me or does the bag resemble an anteater or <risk of overexciting a segment of the UKC community noted> tapir when unwrapped? There's a definite proboscis anyway.
 TobyA 07 May 2008
In reply to tobyfk: No Logo - very Klein-ian that way. I can also see an anteater in the "lurks" photo. Do you spend a lot of time seeing shapes in clouds as well?

tobyfk 07 May 2008
In reply to TobyA:
> Do you spend a lot of time seeing shapes in clouds as well?

Clouds? It has been a while since I saw one of those ...

galpinos 07 May 2008
In reply to Wee Tam:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Toby,
>
> It looks like an interesting concept and for outcrop cragging I bet it would be superb, and at £40 you can't really go wrong.
>
> However, is it really 45 litres? My main bag which gets used for everything is just over 30litres. At a squease I can fit: 2 50metre ropes, rock shoes, chalk bag, harness, rack (12 quickdraws, 2 sets of nuts, set of friends to 4''), Helmet, 1 Litre of water, food, guide book, head torch, first aid kit, hat, waterproofs, pertex, puffball top.
>
> Everything is on the inside.
>
> Do I own a Tardis or is my rucksack bigger than it says it is?

Hmm, really? Either you're amamzing at packing rucsacks, I'm rubbish at packing rucsacks or your bag is rather larger than 30L.
 Dan Goodwin 25 May 2008
In reply to Wee Tam:

I should think you have the Tardis model !! Thats rather alot to go in a thirty litre back !!
 Wee Davie 25 May 2008
In reply to Tam Ripley:

2 half ropes my arse.

Davie
 sdi 25 May 2008
In reply to Wee Tam:

I think a series of photos of you packing/unpacking it is in order.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...