UKC

Soft shell Trousers for a long leg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fluvial 27 Nov 2011
OK I am quite tall and have long legs - so my question is. I want a pair of softshell pants for walking, hiking and fieldwork - ok I am about 34" waist and 35/36" leg anyone know of anything that might fit?? - Cost is irrelevent as I don't expect many to fit.
 Damo 28 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister:

People will tell you Haglofs, though I don't find them long enough. Mammut made their pants in an extra long leg (size 104, 106 etc) but these are very hard to find, and expensive. Arcteryx are OK, but not really long enough for 36".

I have a few pairs from www.beyondclothing.com and they are excellent - best fitting pants ever. I have both the Cold Fusion pants (like Powershield) from the Classic range, and the Glacier Shock pants (Epic shell) and a lighter pair. Crap colour range, but unsurpassed fit, if you fill in the form right.
 jadias 28 Nov 2011
In reply to Damo:

Agreed, Beyond stuff is awesome.I have the Glacier Shock jacket and love it - if you take the time to fill in the form properly then the fit is just ridiculously good. Just don't gain weight!
 WillCass 28 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister: Mountain Equipment do a long leg in most of their trousers. Give them a call, order direct.

Cheers for now

Will
 Denni 28 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister

Hi mate,
My friend is a 36 waist with 35 inside leg and he wears Mammut base jump pants.
He bought them on flea bay from a company in Germany for about 90 quid. I'll get the link to you if you want it?
Den
 Reach>Talent 28 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister:
Mammut basejump are available in a 35" inside leg. I've got some and they are a great fit.

Mike (6'7ish")
daveholl 28 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister:

Try and hunt down Arcteryx's Gamma SK pant. Best softshell trousers I've owned and come in long leg version. I'm a 34" inside leg so thought the long would be perfect. It was too long when wearing boots - ironically I've now got a regular version which is perfect.
 roddyp 28 Nov 2011
+1 for Arcteryx Gammas. Sounds like I'm a very similar size to you, and they're the best fitting pair of trousers I've owned.
 Glen 28 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister:

My Mammut soft shell trousers are, if anything, a bit long for my 35" inside leg.
 mdh 28 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister:

Mountain Equipment advertise as doing a long leg but don't let you order direct. I had to use my local Cotswold as an intermediate to get them ordered in.
OP Fluvial 28 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister:

Thanks for all this -

Are the Arcteryx more of a skiing pant? they seem a little bit heavy. the ME one I knew about so will have to look into further. Thanks for your help at least you have all helped nail it down to just a few cheers!
daveholl 28 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister:

The Gamma SK pants are designed as a ski touring pant so there's a small instep scuff patch and a slightly wider cut at the base of the leg but no more so IMO than other options from ME/Mammut etc. I use mine for everything from strolling round the Peak to summer alpinism, though funnily enough, not ski touring! They are actually remarkably light if you don't need the braces which are easy to remove.
 Iain Thow 28 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister:

Lowe Alpine Omni Pants are pretty long legged (too long for most of our customers, and Stormweave is a cracking softshell material - I've had 5 of them over the years (3 still just about going) & given them plenty of use/abuse, Alpine, cragging, walking guiding. They are no longer being made, but safariquip have a pair of medium left (34 waist), £56 (down from £70). If we had any large left I'd have snaffled them myself.
Iain
 Matt Forshaw 29 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister: Another vote for Arc'teryx Gamma SK in a long leg length, they are surprisingly hard wearing but not at all heavy or bulky like most ski pants so don't let that put you off.

I reviewed them last year on my blog here: http://www.matthewforshaw.com/2010/03/arcteryx-gamma-sk-pant-review.html
 Andy Hardy 29 Nov 2011
In reply to fozmeister:

Have you thought about getting a pair made to measure?

Paul Hobbs certainly used to do this (he made me a coat and my mrs some trousers) PM if you want his number. BTW it was about the same price as off the peg, but you have to wait for them, obviously.
 BGG 03 Dec 2011
In reply to fozmeister: hi, exactly same sort of issue - I'm 6ft6", inside leg 35/36.

Today I went looking for new eVent/GT trousers, expecting a difficult time. To my amazement various Rab overtrousers in XL fitted really pretty well and were easily long enough. Definitely try them - their tops and jackets are cut pretty long too.

BTW, I've used Beyond before for a soft shell jacket and the garment was good, the service a bit less so and it took a long time to get it.
 dek 03 Dec 2011
In reply to fozmeister:
Patagonia Super Guide Pants have extremely long legs. Got some from the
The Mountainfactor shop in the lakes at discount , worth a phone call.
 GarethSL 04 Dec 2011
In reply to dek: Have they? Cause I always avoided Patagonia troos on the notion that there are only the regular leg length in the UK.

Or do these have a longer regular leg so to speak?
 dek 04 Dec 2011
In reply to Hvit ut:
Doesn't specify what the leg length is, unlike ME and Mammut..just very long, but i tuck them inside gaiters to stop catching them on crampons etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...