UKC

South Africa Climbing Guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elsier 20 Mar 2018

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of 'Western Cape Rock' the sport climbing guide to the Western Cape and the Rooiberg Guide. 

Does anyone know if any UK gear shops sell the South Africa climbing guidebooks?

Or is anyone looking to sell the most recent versions of these guides?

Or know where I can get hold of them without paying the really high postage fees to get them sent from South Africa (which seems to be more than the guidebooks are worth?)

Thanks in advance!

DamonRoberts 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Elsier:

Theres a copy of Western Cape Rock on Amazon.de for 20 euro plus a bit for shipping at the moment. https://www.amazon.de/Western-Cape-Rock-climbers-climbing/dp/B001CL0PFQ

The Rooiberg guide is tiny, and probably only available from South African shops.

South Africa has a particularly awful postal system, so you'll be paying for a fancy private courier typically. Might be worth sending MountainMailorder.co.za an email to see what they'd charge to send things overseas, they would probably be happy to post one out in regular airmail with no guarantee it'd actually arrive for a few quid. 

Trangia 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Elsier:

Have you tried Stanfords?

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/

They have a huge stock of overseas books and maps.

Otherwise Cape Union Mart is a big SA outdoors shop. They have a branch at the Waterfront at Cape Town, where, if they have got the guides, you could pre-order and call in and collect them. Presumably you would be flying in via Cape Town?

OP Elsier 21 Mar 2018
In reply to DamonRoberts:

Thanks, it looks like that's the 2005 version of the guide which is quite out of date. 

But I'll try mountain mail order and see what they say. 

OP Elsier 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks will try Stanfords.

We could collect the guides on arrival, but are hoping to avoid the trip into Cape Town to pick up the guidebook. 

We're heading straight out to the Cederbergs, so if anyone know where we might find guidebooks in that area, that could work?

Trangia 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Elsier:

The only town of any size near Cederberg is Clan William. I'd be very surprised if you'll find a guide book there.

The trip from the airport to the Waterfront (full name Victoria & Albert Waterfront) at Cape Town is relatively short (20 mins to half an hour). Most of it motorway. At the end the route to the Waterfront is very well signposted and easy to follow. Loads of (pay) parking at the shopping complex here and Cape Union Mart is right there literally on the waterfront.

Post edited at 17:48
Removed User 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Elsier:

I might be able to help. Are you Elsie Riley from the lscc? If so happy to lend you mine with exception of 10 Nov - 1 dec 18.

ann.henderson67@ntlworld.com

Removed User 21 Mar 2018
In reply to DamonRoberts:

Contact Tony Lourens at

samountain.co.za

He is the publisher of both guides and will tell if they are availabe in the UK.

Dave Chesney 

OP Elsier 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:

Thanks, will be in touch.

OP Elsier 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks will try that too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...