UKC

Spinnaker tape for repairing outdoor kit? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TurnipPrincess 02 Feb 2020

Hi, Unfortunately, I've got some small holes both in my rain jacket and down jacket. I was wondering what's the best way of fixing these? Has anyone used spinnaker tape for outdoor kit repairs? Does it work better than duct tape, puncture patches... etc? Thanks!  

jethro kiernan 02 Feb 2020
In reply to TurnipPrincess:

I’ve used it on my sleeping bag and it’s been okay.

Martin W 02 Feb 2020

I've not used spinnaker tape.  I have used Tenacious Tape on one of my pairs of winter trousers (crampon holes) and after a number of years use I'd say that it is quite discrete and so far is staying put.

I've just used some of the rest of the pack to patch some failing seams in my ski gloves.  I'm not sure that the tape is sticking too well, though that might just be because it's past its use by date.

Edited to add:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/fixing_waterproofs_with_spinnaker_ta... - the reports of other folks' experiences with spinnaker tape don't seem all that positive.  Is there actually any fundamental difference between spinnaker tape and duct tape?

Post edited at 11:24
 Dan Arkle 02 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin W:

I found spinnaker tape way better than duct tape - if applied well - cut rounded patches, apply to flat clean surfaces and most importantly, really rub it in to get a good stick. Work from the inside of the patch outwards, rubbing hard to mesh the adhesive to as many fibres as possible, and the friction heat provided helps with the seal.

I've used tenacious tape, it's also good, its popular and slightly easier to use. I prefer spinnaker tape personally. 

oldie 02 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin W:

> https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/fixing_waterproofs_with_spinnaker_ta... - the reports of other folks' experiences with spinnaker tape don't seem all that positive.  Is there actually any fundamental difference between spinnaker tape and duct tape? <

I've found spinnaker tape better (sail tape is tougher but spinnaker tape possibly better for clothing). A problem with duct tape is that it seems to peel off after a year or so, in my experience.

Basemetal 02 Feb 2020

I burnt the sleeve of my shiny new Goretex duvet jacket on my stove on Mont Blanc back in Christmas 1981. Patched it with spinnaker tape to prevent loss of down, and so far the patch is still holding. The jacket has been washed half a dozen times.

I've used Tenacious tape on other repairs but I've found the spinnaker tape lasts longer and survives washing better. I did see Tenacious tape patches for sale in the shape of dinosaurs though - so that might swing it their way

In reply to Basemetal:

> I did see Tenacious tape patches for sale in the shape of dinosaurs though - so that might swing it their way

That certainly does swing it. Where have you seen them for sale?

Basemetal 02 Feb 2020
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

I saw them in one of the Aviemore climbing shops IIRC. McNett Gear Aid Patches for Kids if you want to search ( makers of Tenacious Tape).

Bushcraft store have some wildlife ones...

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/gear-aid-tenacious-tape-tattoo-repair-p...

stevevans5 02 Feb 2020

Stormsure tuff tape is pretty good in my experience. Spinnaker tape is alright but it's not as durable and will be more obvious (which you may or may not be bothered by) 

Basemetal 02 Feb 2020
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Looks like the dinosaur pack is hard to find now. Here's a pic of the patches it had...

https://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2015/08/20/12917121/large_kidspack_tattoo.JPG

LG-Mark 03 Feb 2020

I've always used Tear-Aid to patch mine. It's pretty indestructible and quite discreet.

Can be used for patching pretty much anything. Light, medium or heavy duty fabrics can be repaired with it.

Toerag 05 Feb 2020

I repaired the fly on my VauDe mk3 with spinnaker tape (rounded patch both sides) after my scouts accidentally threw a branch through it. Worked fine for many years.  Gaffer tape tends to shrink/creep and leave horrible exposed glue, and is thicker and heavier.

ivanwindrush 05 Feb 2020

Spinnaker Repair Tape works for me. I have a couple of pairs of shell / waterproof trousers where crampon holes and wear and tear have been patched up with the tape. 

Tigger 05 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin W:

I've had good success using McNett Seam grip glue on fixing a crampons tear my waterproof.

I used a gortex iron on repair patch on the inside and glue on the outside. The patch fell off the glue is working very well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...