UKC

REVIEW: Sprayway Grendel Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 03 Jan 2023

This midweight synthetic insulated jacket is ideal for keeping warm on the move. Its Gore-Tex Infinium fabric offers excellent breathability, windproofing and a measure of rain resistance, while the hood and features are well-thought-out. It's not a budget buy, says John McKenna, but a very competent choice for winter walking and mountaineering.

Read more

AliRLee 03 Jan 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Great review!

SteveSBlake 05 Jan 2023

Not mentioned in the review, is that the zip is ‘one way’. At £330, a two way zip is a basic feature that any jacket should have.

Ridge 05 Jan 2023
In reply to SteveSBlake:

> Not mentioned in the review, is that the zip is ‘one way’. At £330, a two way zip is a basic feature that any jacket should have.

I'm still struggling with the thought of £330 for what is essentially a showerproof insulated jacket.

Post edited at 12:17
In reply to SteveSBlake:

Hi Steve,

Sorry, should have included that. The zip is just a one-way. I understand what you mean, with scenarios where it's handy to have a double zip with a harness on. For me though, I think given this is more aimed at winter walking it still seems pretty reasonable to just be a one-way zip. It's not going to be a deal breaker for many, although everyone has their opinions or needs.

TobyA 05 Jan 2023
In reply to John McKenna - Rockfax:

Yep and not all climbers are convinced by the need for two ended zips anyway. I've climbed for 30 years and can't remember ever thinking "I need a double zip on this jacket", but I have had jackets with double zips that wouldn't stay bloody well done up at the bottom end. I think Steve is over egging his pudding a bit - at least to my taste!

Post edited at 14:05
 TobyA 05 Jan 2023
In reply to John McKenna - Rockfax:

By the way John - did you try getting soaked in the jacket ? In the Infinium jacket I reviewed last winter it basically seemed completely waterproof. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/waterproofs/66north_skaftafell_jac...

SteveSBlake 06 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> Yep and not all climbers are convinced by the need for two ended zips anyway. I've climbed for 30 years and can't remember ever thinking "I need a double zip on this jacket", but I have had jackets with double zips that wouldn't stay bloody well done up at the bottom end. I think Steve is over egging his pudding a bit - at least to my taste!

Well, I’ll trump your experience by 26 years, 🤭 I’ve rarely had zips fail in that time, and not a two way one…. I find them really useful if the jacket is going on over my harness. But I take the point that if the jacket is pitched at wealthy hill walkers then it’s irrelevant. 😏

Doug 06 Jan 2023
In reply to SteveSBlake:

Back when all jackets seemed to be long I often had to open the bottom part of the zip in order to be able to walk uphill on steep ground. But I admit I'm short with short legs.

In reply to TobyA:

I do see Steve's point with the 2 way zip being beneficial for some if you are wanting to use it for climbing. But like I said, I don't think everyone will find this to be a deal breaker - it's still a really good jacket.

I never tried getting properly soaked as this definitely isn't completely waterproof. I'm surprised by that, Infinium garments aren't supposed to be completely waterproof!?

CantClimbTom 15 Jan 2023

Out of interest, why are they not fully waterproof, is it the fabric itself (membrane pores are big enough to start to leak) or lack of tape sealing or a bit of both?

TobyA 15 Jan 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

See my linked review above to an Infinium shell jacket with taped seams Tom. I tried and couldn't get it to leak. I ended up kinda confused as to why this supposedly un-waterproof jacket was waterproof!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...