UKC

Static Lines for TR belays/Headpointing/Abseiling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jackob 26 May 2020

Hi,

I have decided it is time I start looking at getting a static rope. This will be for a number of different uses.

Do people tend to have multiple lengths of static lines i.e a short one for anchor building and a longer one for TR soloing/ abseiling. Or just one static line for all uses obviously this will have its drawbacks in terms of lugging it around to remote crags but saves money as you would need to buy less rope. I've noticed a huge difference in price between the thicknesses of statics and was wondering what most diameter/length and also brand most people go for. 

In terms of lengths I am hoping to head to Pembrokeshire this summer but would like something long enough to cover anything the UK can throw at me really.

Thanks.

Jack

gravy 26 May 2020
In reply to Jackob:

15m of 11mm static for TR anchors.  The static shrinks a bit so start 10% longer. One length like this is sufficient for nearly all top ropes anchors. A thin doormat/beer towel/teeshirt and an old prussik loop is handy for protecting it over the edge. Get it by the metre from needlesports or similar. It's usually sufficient for lassoing a couple of boulders and hanging over the edge.

If you're going to ab from it then it depends on how long you abs will be - I think 100m is handy for Lundy for instance.  Use something thinner for this to cut the weight. Use a bit of old hose pipe for protecting against the edges. Tie a knot in the end or take other "not abbing off the end precautions".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...