UKC

Stiff Kinky Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 10 Feb 2019

We picked up a rope a couple of years back for a trip to Chorro, it's an 80 meter 'Edelweiss Rocklight ii' it has always felt like cable and kinked quite badly during use. Admittedly we got it as it was cheap and weren't expecting a premium rope, on long sport pitches and multipitch due to the twisting nature it's bordering on unusable at times. Can anyone suggest a quick fix short of buying a better rope? Any way to make ot more supple?

Cheers!

Post edited at 13:14
 plyometrics 10 Feb 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Anything stiff and kinky generally responds to gentle rubbing along its length. You’ll find after a few minutes, sometimes even seconds, it will eventually relax.

AlanLittle 10 Feb 2019
In reply to Tigger:

If you can find a spot where you can hang it up at full length that might help a bit. Could be tricky to find a 80 metre clear drop though.

IPPurewater 10 Feb 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Soak it overnight in clean water in a clean recepticle. Air dry it, then hang it down a drop as Alan suggests, a few times.

OP Tigger 10 Feb 2019
In reply to AlanLittle:

I sense I'm about to get some strange looks hanging it down the side of the multi storey car park in the town center!

Mark Kemball 10 Feb 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Take it for a walk, literally, heathery moorland is ideal. Take one end of the rope and walk so as to pull it along behind you for abot 200m, repeat, pulling the other end of the rope.

johncook 10 Feb 2019
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I use a local playing field, where I can drag it through the grass and bend it round the round goal posts. This seems to resurrect ropes which have been destroyed by too much indoor climbing. I don't use my good ropes indoors, but my indoor ropes seem to get stiff, twisted, kinky and dirty and taking them for a walk certainly helps. Pulling it round the goalposts seems to alleviate some of the fattening due to a small amount of sheath slippage where the rope stops at the belay device at the end of lowering off!

OP Tigger 10 Feb 2019
In reply to johncook:

I'll give it a go thanks, my main concern is that it's been like it since day one. when you look at the rope whilst belaying it's always got slight bends in it leading up the climber. When pulled through the lower of a route it constantly forms loops / kinks (And all Hell breaks loose if it so much looks at a Gri-Gri). TBH I think the sheath may be quite twisted on the Core. Failing that can anyone recommend a 80 meter rope in the 9.5mm - 10mm range for £100 - £150? I was looking at the Mammut Eternity Protect 9.8 as an option.

Cheers

olliehales 11 Feb 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Take it to local climbing wall and pass it through the top krabs on the tallest route, then pull through multiple times? Did this with my Beal 35m rope and it sorted it out

In reply to Tigger:

Hang it and or pull along the ground to remove kinks. Machine wash with detergent and fabric conditioner to alleviate stiffness. 

Iamgregp 11 Feb 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Although this isn't going to be of much use to you now your rope is already kinked, it sounds to me like it arrived factory rolled and when you unpacked it you put a load of tension and twist in it (which is why it feels so taught and kinks up so much).  However to avoid this happening in future there's a technique to use  youtube.com/watch?v=8nSutmoV0-s& 

You may know all this already and have unpacked it correctly, so please forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but it's worth posting for everyone's benefit, as we learnt the hard way and ended up getting a new rope! 

Post edited at 13:18
OP Tigger 11 Feb 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Yea incorrect unpacking on my behalf is the prime suspect, I'll try the drag it across a field technique but im not too sure about fabric conditioner??

In reply to Tigger:

Washing removes dirt chalk etc, conditioner provides lubrication between the strands of the rope. The conditioner forms an inert film on the surface of the fibres, there is no chemical interaction between the nylon and the conditioner. Use of conditioner improves handling and life of your rope, it also smells of summer meadows or whatever it says on the label. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...