UKC

Storing a Bouldering Pad outside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 31 Jul 2018

I live on a boat and therefore don't have much in the way of space. Currently I keep my bouldering pads permanently in the car but that means I have either no boot space, or the back seats are out of action.

I could store it safely outside but I'm not sure on how I'd go about keeping it dry.

Any thoughts? Giant dry bags? Just a tarp?

Any suggestions are welcomed!

bouldery bits 31 Jul 2018
In reply to James Malloch:

I know that plastic covers are available for mattresses. Perhaps you could obtain one? 

In reply to bouldery bits:

Might be a bit pricier but alpkit can/will custom make you a waterproof cover

ianstevens 31 Jul 2018
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Or a tarp over the top?

Man city 31 Jul 2018

I recently took a bouldering mat on my bike rack on the back of California for a month around France(no room in the van due to 4yr old toys etc).

i made a bag for it out of rubble sacks gaffer taped together. A bit heath Robinson but was super watertight and surprisingly robust considering total cost was circa £1.50, and survived really well through the biblical thunder storms we experienced in the Alps

could have been made loads better, but I would have no qualms about leaving mine outside in it for a considerable period of time

hope this helps

peanuts 31 Jul 2018

Hey man, I live in my van and I sleep on my big boulder pad - probably not the idea you are looking for.  BUT, my smaller pad... I got an elasticated cargo net and hung it on the ceiling of the van. I had some threaded bores when I took out the grab rails. So I just put eye bolts into the bores & threaded the cargo net into them so the boulder mat is held against the roof of the van. 

disclaimer; I am not the type of person who needs a huge amount of head room.  But this is an idea which works for me & keeps the boulder mat in the vehicle whilst being economical with space

Post edited at 21:00
In reply to ianstevens:

> Or a tarp over the top?

I presumed that 'just cover it up' had been considered and he was looking for something more thorough.

Siward 02 Aug 2018

I second mattress bags, from ebay. I've used them for all sorts of things such as car seats in a damp garage. Big, tough, cheap.

OP James Malloch 02 Aug 2018

Mattress covers could be a good shout - I'll have a look into those, thanks!

Similar for Alpkit. A friend works there so I'm going to get it priced up.

A tarp was an obvious answer but given it will be very exposed and out all winter I'd like to get something that's closeable ideally. It's an expensive pad so I think it will be worth getting something as watertight as possible. Though may end up resorting to this...

Thanks for the responses!

Post edited at 12:13
 SDM 02 Aug 2018

I'll store it inside* for you if you want. I'm so generous I won't even charge you for my services and I'll even allow you free use of it on Cave trips!

*Monday-Friday. Inside storage not guaranteed on weekends. Or on weekday evenings when the weather is nice. 

Post edited at 14:24
OP James Malloch 02 Aug 2018
In reply to SDM:

If only you lived in Leeds... Half of my pads are already on long term loans!

Dax H 04 Aug 2018

Something to consider when storing it in a plastic bag, make sure it is nice and dry before putting it away. A damp mat in a bag will go moldy. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...