UKC

Storing a gortex Shell in a compression bag..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 browndog33 30 Jul 2018

As title, will it damage the shell due to the extra creasing?

TIA, Mark.

GarethSL 31 Jul 2018
In reply to browndog33:

Not at all.

Many of the lightweight shells available now come with their own little stuff sac, that is often pretty tight. Never heard of anyone having issues with waterproofing after compressing gore-tex or other membrane fabrics.

benp1 31 Jul 2018
In reply to browndog33:

Stuff it rather than roll/fold it, so that you don't get neat creases in exactly the same place every time

OP browndog33 31 Jul 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

Ok Thanks.

OP browndog33 31 Jul 2018
In reply to benp1:

Good point, cheers.

Ridge 31 Jul 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

> Many of the lightweight shells available now come with their own little stuff sac, that is often pretty tight. Never heard of anyone having issues with waterproofing after compressing gore-tex or other membrane fabrics.

Surely the stuff sac is designed to keep pack size down in use, rather than long term storage?

I don't know for certain, but I'd imagine that keeping what is essentially a thin plastic membrane creased over for an extended period won't do it a lot of good in the long term.

bouldery bits 31 Jul 2018
In reply to browndog33:

I wouldn't store hardshell under compression for extended periods of time. A week away, no problem. 8 months under the bed? Not so sure.

BB

GarethSL 31 Jul 2018
In reply to Ridge:

Very true and a good point. My assumption was that the op planned to have it packed in a compression bag whilst away on a trip or somesuch as opposed to long term storage. 

In reply to browndog33:

Don't store it stuffed. Honestly, the best way to store jackets, even hard shells, is to store them hung on a coat hanger. Stuffing anything like this does damage the face fabric over time, repeated stuffing that is. Stuffing once and leaving probably isn't so bad, but I'd always try and hang them if I can.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...