UKC

Suggest me a shell (jacket)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 14 Oct 2018

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a 4-season mountaineering shell (jacket) up to £300 

• Gortex or Gortex Pro not a great fan of e-vent fabrics.
  • weatherproof or as close to it as possible.
  • alpine fit
  • Harness compatible
  • helmet compatible hood
  • all the other things you associate with a mountaineering jacket i.e chest pocket for map and so on.

wanted to buy a Mountain Equipment Rupal today but they just don't fit me.  The small is tight in the shoulder region and the medium was big in the body.

in another thread someone suggested a Montane Endurance Pro in a sale but unfortunately they don't have my size.

can anyone suggest anything for max £300?

Post edited at 22:29
 TobyA 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Have you tried an Alpkit Definition? - If I needed to buy a new winter jacket one of them would be top of my list to try on. Even if you can't get to one of their shops they seem very good about returns via mail order so you could buy to try, and return if the fit isn't good. Considerably under your budget too.

OP Alan M 14 Oct 2018
In reply to TobyA:

i haven't to be honest.   Have you tried one in bad weather?  

The specs look great but something just holds me back from spending that sort of money on something including a fabric i don't know anything about.  It is easier to take a punt on say a Berghaus or Montane or Rab etc. Due to using those brands for years.

Tom Last 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

ME Tupliak? Not got wet yet in it. 

TobyA 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I haven't but Dave's review for UKC was good: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/waterproofs/alpkit_definition_shel... 

Post edited at 23:25
OP Alan M 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Tom Last:

> ME Tupliak? Not got wet yet in it. 

That is a nice looking jacket in orange.  My fear would be that it has the same cut as the Rupal, so it won't fit me!!

Need to find a shop where I can go and try one on.

BrendanO 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I can confirm that Alpkit are embarrassingly lovely about returns of items that don't fit. In fact, their customer service is a great advert for online businesses, though I am a fan of real shops.

OP Alan M 14 Oct 2018
In reply to TobyA:

That's a great review.  Still nervous about the longer term fabric durability though, 40D doesn't sound much.  The jackets I have been looking at are around the 70 to 80D mark.  My current jacket (Rab) leaks around the shoulder and waist area due to rubbing from my backpack straps, want to avoid that again.

Si Withington 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Hi

I have a brand new Patagonia Triolet for sale in a small - it’s a very large small though, defiantly medium if you ask me. I’m a small in all their kit and am an XS in this jacket. 

It’s brand new - literally been worn for 10 mins. Colour is the Balkan Blue in their site. 

Message me for more info. Si

In reply to Alan M:

Arc’teryx Alpha FL is probably the best light (yet very durable) shell I have used.

If was going to have one shell to use for absolutely everything, from alpine rock to Scottish winter it would be this.

I also rate my Alpkit Definition, but haven’t used it enough to give a useful review. 

andyd1970 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I’ve got the Tupliak and it’s great and ticks all your boxes

Ive found recently that I vary in size and fit in. Mountain Equipment jackets and I’ve worn they for quite a few years 

mountain magic had a sample sale on last week with them in it 

J101 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I own a Montane alpine pro jacket which is 40D gore Tex pro and haven't had a problem with it. I spent 4 hours plus in driving winds and constant rain on Beinn Eighe earlier this year and it held out pretty well (I don't believe any fabric can keep you totally dry in these sorts of conditions if you're scrambling or exerting yourself heavily). It certainly wasn't leaking around the contact points for my rucksack.

Post edited at 11:29
OP Alan M 22 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  After a weekend of getting very very wet in the old jacket I ended up purchasing a Mountain Equipment Lhotse.

Lots of good reviews online and it feels like a substantial jacket that was well within budget.  Time will tell if i made the right choice!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...