UKC

SUM by Faders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
comedy_phil 28 Feb 2011
I am looking for a SUM belay device made by Spanish company Fader. Something about them merging with Spanish company Fixe and something else about Lyon being a UK stockist.
While I don't doubt Fixe have probably swallowed Faders, Lyon are not a uk stockist of this belay device as confirmed by themselves!!
Ebay is listing them at £70 quid or something, shipping from Australia....

Does anybody have any, more sensible suggestions? I'll even settle for second hand if its in good condition.
 jimtitt 28 Feb 2011
In reply to comedy_phil:
Easy to get in Germany so you could order one from there.
I´ve tried one but it´s not the best thing in the world. Good for thin ropes, pretty soft catch (spelt weak braking!), twists the rope somehow, about the size of a lunchbox, weighs more than a Grigri and lowering heavy climbers is horrible. Nicely made but early models had wear issues.
Never caught on!

Jim
In reply to comedy_phil: not brilliant for fatter ropes. get a gri gri
August West 28 Feb 2011
In reply to comedy_phil:

Lyon stopped importing Faders a couple of years ago.
comedy_phil 01 Mar 2011
Jim, thanks for your advice. Any idea of a good/any german website worth trying?
Cheers
 jimtitt 01 Mar 2011
In reply to comedy_phil:

These guys are o.k. I´ve used them a bit, http://www.dein-klettershop.de/

20 bucks more than a Grigri + postage doesn´t tempt me, even free it wouldn´t!

Jim
comedy_phil 14 Mar 2011
In reply to comedy_phil:
Thanks for your comments, I have located one and found it a dream to use.

Just for the haters, It is brilliant for thin ropes and light climbers. Lucky for me this is its intended use. It is so much easier to load than a Gri Gri and locks perfectly.

Another good alternative is a Cinch by Trango, or just a good old fashioned sticht plate!

Happy climbing
 jimtitt 14 Mar 2011
In reply to comedy_phil:
Just make sure you only use one of the recommended karabiners AND the rubber thingy they supply to stop you killing your partner.
Not everything that smells like a rose is a rose!

Jium
 rmoffat 25 Mar 2011
In reply to comedy_phil: im selling one now. if your interested let me know. its going on ebay today.
 Richard Sutton 26 Mar 2011
In reply to comedy_phil: I've got one that's hardly been used, if you want it pm me with a sensible offer.
cheers
Richard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...