UKC

Summiteer - Any thoughts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hugh1201 31 Dec 2020

Just read an article about Summiteer, a new rucksack maker based outside Kendal: 

https://www.thinairguides.com/journal/summiteer

Looks interesting, and certainly with good 'green' credentials. Any thoughts? Anyone bought a Summiteer sack?

Kalna_kaza 31 Dec 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

I've not got one of their packs but there are a number of cottage industry pack makers out there. There are two others that I know if in Cumbria: Aguille, based in Stavely, have been around for a bit longer and make quality gear from what I've heard. Atom Packs in Keswick is focused on lightweight customised packs which I really rate. 

Niall_H 31 Dec 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

> Anyone bought a Summiteer sack?

Yes: I've got a 35l from them.  It's a nice pack - good build quality and comfortable (although that is a very subjective thing, of course).  The floating lid is handy in squeezing it down if it's not full.  And the bungie cord on the front is run through nylon straps that will double up as a daisy-chain type thing if you want to hang gear off the outside (like smelly rock shoes!)

Post edited at 11:29
 Graeme Hammond 31 Dec 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

They are really nicely made but if you are going fast and light with a 40L pack this wouldn't be my choice as they are quite heavy pack. If they made a 50L version for general craging etc I think they would be more popular similar to the bomproof pod sacs and macpac rucksacks.

In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Do you know if there's a directory of UK made outdoor gear like this? I guess in addition to the three companies you mentioned Buffalo would count, as would Summit both bags and PHD.

In reply to hugh1201:

I rate them highly. I've an older version of the Crag Rocket. Very good build quality and materials in my opinion. Ethan (chap behind it all) seems like a very pleasant bloke. There's a few threads on here about them. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...