UKC

Synthetic insulated jackets for the tall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 12 Aug 2014
This has probably been asked before but never mind!

I am looking for a light weight packable synthetic jacket for belaying/stuffing in the bag for lunch stops etc. The problem is I am just over 2m tall with a 2.1m span and I am not exactly fat. So most manufacturers xxl is too small or looks like I am wearing a tent. Any suggestions for something suitable?
 Tall Clare 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Mr TC is a good bit shorter than you at a mere 6'4, but he's found that Montane jackets are a good fit for the tall/skinny chap.
 woollardjt 13 Aug 2014

I'm tall skinny with long limbs and find patagonia kit fits the best, montane is ok but if the arm length is ok then the chest is too baggy.

I bought a simond belay jacket in L and it's fit isn't bad you would prob need a lx or xxl
 Damo 13 Aug 2014

I'm 6'7" (199cm) with a 47" chest and 34" waist.

Montane is too short in the arms. Rab is too baggy around the waist. Some Patagonia is OK but most too baggy around the waist.

Haglofs are probably the best combo of length with a trim fit.

Arcteryx are pretty good but expensive, hard to find XXL.

First Ascent / Eddie Bauer from the US are good.

Mont Bell are OK, better than most.

Mountain Hardwear Compressor or other synth are OK but quite boxy, especially in XXL. Their XL is fine on me.

maybe_si 13 Aug 2014

6'4" with a 44" chest and 32" waist, another vote for Haglofs, also Norrona, they are built by vikings after all!!
 Robbo1 13 Aug 2014

Also, suggest you get some wrist gaiters so that when you do reach above your head your wrists are not exposed to the cold.
 Jasonic 13 Aug 2014

I have a Haglofs for similar reason- lots of other models were too boxy..
OP Reach>Talent 13 Aug 2014
In reply to all:

Cheers for the hints, todays brief trip to Cotswolds demonstrated that Rab was definitely out: A couple of jackets were nearly long enough in the arm and just about roomy enough at the shoulder but I could have concealed half a dozen size 6 camalots in the gap around the stomach!

Time to find a stockist with a broader range.
 Big Steve 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent: I have always found Montane too small as well. I have a XL Patagonia DAS parka which is a great fit for me, 6'3 ish, long arms and not exactly slim anymore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...