UKC

Tell me what I’m looking for!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 21 Feb 2020

Evening all,

I’m on the lookout for a hooded mid layer that must have good wicking properties, not a lot of bulk, can keep me warm enough down to about freezing but not overheat me on a day out in the hills. Average not athletic fit, thumb loops preferably and at least a chest/internal pocket. 

Am I asking too much? My mate has a Ventrix? by TNF and some Patagonia jacket which is like a grid fabric that he swears by but he can’t remember the name.

Haven't bought one in years so could do with some advice.

Cheers, Den 

chadogrady 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

Patagonia R1 or R2 

bouldery bits 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

Patagonia R1 hoody

Montane Allez Micro Hoody

Berghaus Privatale

Basemetal 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

Rab Vapour-Rise Light or Alpine ticks most of those.

Iain Thow 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

Rab Vapour-Rise Alpine will do all that (although you'd have to try the fit), brilliant wicking and breathability, very light and not bulky, plus the bonus that it also works really well as a stand alone top if it's not going to rain much.

1philjones1 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

Have a look at the Rab Direct Alpha- just bought one and hoping it’ll do what you’re after. 

goose299 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

Alpkit Griffon 

Might be a touch on the cool side, depends how hot you run 

morpcat 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

You are looking for this:  youtube.com/watch?v=kni-AVRYwA8&

olddirtydoggy 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

Great review by Dan Bailey on the ME Kenisis jacket on the front page.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/softshell/mountain_equipment_kines...

I got an older sample version of this without the hood and love it.

Deadeye 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

> I’m on the lookout for a hooded mid layer that must have good wicking properties

You The Gangsta, bro.

henwardian 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

I had one of those Patagonia mid-layers with the grid fabric and loved it to death (death being about 3 inch wide holes in both elbows), I still highly rate the sort of grid fabric like that that seems great at balancing insulation with avoiding sweatiness. But nowadays quite a lot of different companies offer tops with a similar type of pattern on the inner insulation layer so I'd say the best plan is to try a load of different ones on and buy the one that fits best. I think that in the past for this type of item maybe some companies were behind the curve but in modern times, unless you are buying a really, really cheap no-name, the style and fit is the main thing to pick between them.

Sorry if that isn't as specific advice as you wanted but my experience with tops has been that every manufacturer has a slightly different shape and how long your arms are, how wide your shoulders are, how much your stomach is, er... naturally insulated! and so on are specific to you so you are better off just trying a load of different tops on and then picking one of those that fits and you like the look of. For comparison, I currently have 3 different tops -  from Sherpa, Norrona and Patagonia - and they have all lasted well and functioned well although they are also all make from different fabric types and have a mixture of hoods, pockets and thumb loops.

Max factor 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Denni:

Rab vapour rise. Better over a synthetic top; its micropile lining has Velcro like properties and can seriously hinder movement with the wrong combo.

OP Denni 24 Feb 2020
In reply to all:

Hi folks,

many thanks for the suggestions. I like the look of the ME Kinesis and a good review and also I like the look of the R1 but it does look a bit more fitted than I'd ideally like.

I have had a VR smock for years but have found it a wee bit annoying, maybe because its the smock version. I guess I'm unlikely to need one soonish as its getting milder but will keep an eye out for a deal.

Thanks again, Den 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...