UKC

Terra Nova flysheets query

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Stevie P 11 Sep 2019

Hi,

Quick query.  I have 2 Terra Nova Terra Firma flysheets...…….  long story.  In essence I am looking to keep one and sell the other.  They both have seen very little use and are cosmetically immaculate.  They appear to be made of different fabrics though.  Which one should I keep...…?

Option 1 is 100% nylon and made in 2015.  This feels thinner than the other and slightly 'slimier' more like the lightweight TN flys.

Option 2 is also 100% nylon and is a little older than option 1.  It feels thicker and, TBH, stronger. When rubbed the fabric is 'rougher'  and less slimey/smooth.

Just wondered if anyone knew if the older, stronger feeling fabric is likely to last me longer or whether to go with the newer, lighter, smoother fabric.  Weight is not an issue as won't be carrying. 

Have had previous flysheets go sticky and wondered if anyone could tell me if the older/newer version was more prone.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

andrew ogilvie 11 Sep 2019
In reply to Stevie P:

Is there perhaps a dated label sewn in as part of quality control somewhere on the flysheet?

In reply to Stevie P:

My best guess. Is the newer one is a silicon coated nylon fly sheet, and the the older one is a PU coat nylon fly sheet.

All things being equal (ie the nylon is the same quality and denier) (and I’m not suggesting they are in this case) the Sil Nylon fly should be more durable. 

The other tent fly you have found to go sticky is the probably a PU coated fly that the coating has deteriorated on. I understand this happens with age. 

You could ring Terra Nova and try and speak to someone in design or a Rep, who might be able to confirm/deny/explain better than me.

Tom (very occasional tent rep)

Philip 11 Sep 2019
In reply to Stevie P:

I have a vague memory you could buy the TN flysheets in different weights. Isn't an Endurance Quasar just a quasar with thicker fly, and they also did an Ultra Quasar which was thinner. Maybe same applies to your model.

Stevie P 11 Sep 2019
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Newer fly is marked 2015, older one has date rubbed off the label thr' use. 

Thanks for your help.  I'll stick with the newer one then I think.  Regarding strength and denier I suspect the new one isn't quite as robust but I won't be testing it to its limits I just want it to still be usable in 10 years with low levels of use each year - without being sticky and missing its waterproofness!  I will keep it out of sunlight where possible, store it dry and also not store it compressed as these seem to be the potential causes of the stickiness - any other things to bear in mind?

TN were less than helpful when I phoned them.  In fact they were down right obstructive to me getting a view from someone who may know from the technical side of things.  I was very polite and didn't suggest either may be problematic just asked which was the better option. Was told the person I needed to speak to wasn't there.  When I asked who that was so I could call back I was told they don't give out names of employees and that all their products were excellent and he probably wouldn't know anyway!!!

Thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...