UKC

The answer to clanking hexes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cragtyke 17 Sep 2020

Picked this up from the birthday gift post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_rel_end&v=8HnJQ2bUgv0

Looks interesting.

WaterMonkey 17 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

He had to use both hands for them!

OP cragtyke 17 Sep 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Thought he used teeth to separate the upper inner part at one point?

ianstevens 17 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

The real answer is cams  

TMM 17 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

I've always bubble wrapped mine. Loads of advantages.

Stops the noise

Makes them waterproof

Stops any unsightly scratches

Surprised not to see more people doing it.

GrahamD 17 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Clanking hexes mark you out as a REAL climber.  If you really want, you can pull a loop from the bottom of the hex and clip that, but you're better off just embracing the manly jangle.

Donotello 17 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

That man said so many words he can’t just have been talking about his carpet hex he said way too much stuff.

In reply to cragtyke:

They are for soft sandstone where metal pro would rip. They use knotted slings as stoppers too. Remember the Wide Boys going there?

cb294 18 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Oh, UFOs!

I have them since a few years, as they are not made of metal and can therefore be used in Elbe sandstone. They are great, much easier to place safely (more precisely, much easier to place in a way that you can trust) than knotted slings, at least at the larger sizes. Opened up a whole new set of routes for me that I could technically climb but was not happy about the pro, mainly splitter cracks.

Never mind the cowbells, I think that they would also be good for certain routes in the Peak where erosion of placements is an issue (some route at Birchen comes to mind, but it has been a while. Topsail?)

CB

cb294 18 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

You can simply grab them at the apex of the triangle and flick them open one handed. The camming action caused by the inner triangle being pulled into the sheath is quite good, if of course not as wide in range as with modern double axle cams. The larger sizes expand by at least a couple of cm.

CB

Cobra_Head 18 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Just put some packing foam inside normal hexes if it bothers you that much

ianstevens 18 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Clanking hexes mark you out as a REAL punter.  If you really want, you can pull a loop from the bottom of the hex and clip that, but you're better off just embracing the manly jangle.

Fixed for you 

Fruit 18 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

I like the sound of jangling hexes. It’s the sound of a good day out.

GrahamD 18 Sep 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

As someone who's tried it, punting isn't as easy as it looks.  You certainly wouldn't carry your best climbing gear to do it.

cb294 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Fruit:

No thread about hexes is complete without.....

MORE COWBELL!

CB

Mick Ward 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Fruit:

> I like the sound of jangling hexes. It’s the sound of a good day out.

Totally agree. The sound of 'em evokes so many happy memories.

Punterish? Probably... but I really don't care!

Mick

C Witter 18 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

I must admit that I didn't really understand everything the presenter was saying, but that tampon looks a little bit overkill to me...

johncook 18 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

In the distant past someone in the UK produced plastic 'hexes' but they lacked strength and rigidity. I am sure, with developments in plastics technology they could be developed today, but people prefer the ease of cam placement, so not sure it would be economically viable!

nufkin 18 Sep 2020
In reply to johncook:

>  people prefer the ease of cam placement

Not in iced up cracks they don't. 

I quite like the distant clank of hexes through the murk in, say, the Northern Corries. Somehow reassuring, I think

cb294 18 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Punting is easy, getting over the bridge and back on board on time while the bastard below is pushing like crazy is the real trick!

CB

MarkH55 18 Sep 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

you beat me to it

Dave Ferguson 18 Sep 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

an Australian friend of mine used to have some "poly hex's" they were plastic and certainly didn't clank as much, don't think they took off though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...