UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: The new Boreal Ninja performance slipper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 17 Dec 2018
The original Ninja slipper was legendary, offering a huge step up in performance. The latest incarnation is set to be equally groundbreaking, with outstanding performance in an easy-fit slipper.

Read more
In reply to UKC Gear:

Quite excited to try a pair of these , haven't climbed in a boreal shoe for years , anyone got any feedback on the fit ??

In reply to thedevonshirepiemuncher:

We're going to get a pair in for review shortly, so watch this space. In the meanwhile I'll see if I can get the guys from Boreal UK to pass comment on fit - sure they'd be happy to help.

Great to see such a classic rock shoe return to the market.

Boreal UK 17 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

thedevonshirepiemuncher- we will be running demos with these in the New Year, keep an eye on the Boreal Outdoor facebook page for dates and venues.

The last shape is the same as our current Satori model, however the shoe is not lined and the different closure system will mean the fit is subtly different. Sizing also seems a little smaller than existing Boreal models, so definitely worth trying a pair in a store if you can.

Feel free to email me at RLegge@borealoutdoor.com with your location and I can help advise where you can find a pair, or when we will have demos near you.  

muppetfilter 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I don't know if you ever owned original Ninjas but this pair are nothing like them so its not really a return of a sensitive slab slipper suited to friction routes on rock more an aggressive climbing wall/sport slipper with the name slapped on them.

In reply to muppetfilter:

Given that the only feedback I've heard is from a climber who used them throughout a very successful trip to Font, I'm not sure that's the case.

Still, the jury is out until a full review has been done

Post edited at 17:07
In reply to muppetfilter:

Never tried the original version but i am not after a floppy soft shoe anyway. i have the futura which covers that base

Never really got on with soft shoes in font , however i do like a slipper and hopefully these will have a decent heel and i am curious about this new sticky rubber they have developed , will it be better than XS grip ??

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Are you reviewing them Rob?

I know you are a scarpa fan and the instinct slipper(old orange version) has been my go to for a long time

I was thinking of buying a pair of the new version but now these have turned up I might just have to wait and see what the review turns up

Naomi Buys 19 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

I've been using the new ninjas as my go to 'hard indoor bouldering' shoe for a few months. They are soft enough to smear and very sticky, but also precise with support on small edges and nubbins. 

Bearing in mind that my local wall is BoulderUK.... The setting is very varied and technical with a big range of angles and styles. The ninjas have performed excellently. I do have to take them off between every 2 problems or so, maybe they are a small fit for the size, but this does seem to be worth it for the extra sensitivity and precision. 

jon 19 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

It may well be a brilliant shoe - and probably is - but from the looks of it and the description, I think It would have been hard for Boreal to produce anything less like the original Ninja. I loved my many pairs of the originals and would probably like these too, but this is just name recycling...

Post edited at 09:35
In reply to thedevonshirepiemuncher:

I'm not sure yet, just following up on that as we speak. I've got a few (!!) other pairs to review at the moment, but one of them are going to be slow burner (i.e. the new Scarpa Vapour will ideally need some trad time to formulate a true opinion, but due to it being winter that's unlikely to happen for a fair few months).

As you say though, it's nice to have some context in relation to other shoes/brands just so you know whether it's worth giving it a go. 

john arran 19 Dec 2018
In reply to jon:

> I think It would have been hard for Boreal to produce anything less like the original Ninja. I loved my many pairs of the originals and would probably like these too, but this is just name recycling...

Yes, they really should have produced something like the original, for old time's sake, even though they would have been shit by today's standards!

Apparently EB are making climbing shoes too; are we to see a return of the Super Gratton?

Pedro50 19 Dec 2018
In reply to john arran:

I would still wear Boreal Lasers to this day if they made them. I loved them and did my best routes in them. My partner now wears a worn out pair of mine at the wall. I have promised to buy her something more modern for xmas. 

Post edited at 13:36
 Toerag 19 Dec 2018
In reply to Boreal UK:

> Sizing also seems a little smaller than existing Boreal models, so definitely worth trying a pair in a store if you can.

Silly question, but why not simply change the size labels so they're more consistent with other models?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...