UKC

The Ol’ Pillow Scenario

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinturner 29 Dec 2017
I know the answer most people will give here... just stuff a down jacket into a jumper and use that.
NO. I’m willing to carry that one little bit extra. So....

I’m after a compressible/inflatable/whatever pillow, that I can throw in my pack. I’ve tried all the other tricks, and it just doesn’t work.
I’m not a bad sleeper either, I can literally sleep anywhere... but I just need something half decent to put my head on.

What pillows do others use while camping? (Aslong as it’s not a downjacket stuffed in some kind of clothing/bag)
 subtle 29 Dec 2017
In reply to martinturner:

Hmm, the bag that keeps my sleeping bag in gets filled with all my clothing when I strip for bed, use that as my pillow - bag warm enough to sleep naked in and using clothing as pillow stops it freezing solid during the night

Other than that no idea but if you want to carry something then inflatable thing obviously packs down smallest
 radar 29 Dec 2017

Thermarest pocket pillow. ( It has a pocket to boost it's credentials as a pillow, so you can stuff a jumper in it.)
 c9smith8 29 Dec 2017

I have on rare occasions used a cheap "camping" pillow that stuff's into a pack, can't remember the brand but it is from somewhere dirt cheap like trespass/go-outdoors/decathlon etc.. Comfy and warm enough, does the job well.

Though I'll be honest the most comfy, weight-efficient (and cheapest) pillow I always use is the dry bag that I carry any spare clothes in, sorry! :P
 bouldery bits 29 Dec 2017

Inside out buffalo scrunched into a pillow shape.
 jimtitt 29 Dec 2017

Border Collie.
 TobyA 29 Dec 2017

I've never tried one but those inflatable pillows, can they really feel like your pillow at home? Personally, I reckon spare clothes stuffed in a bag has got to feel more like a normal pillow.
 marsbar 30 Dec 2017
Down jacket is too soft, I fold up a fleece.

You could try this

https://m.johnlewis.com/go-travel-458-memory-foam-lumbar-support-assorted-c...

It's meant to be for back but it's pillow size.
Post edited at 03:53
 DaveHK 30 Dec 2017

I struggle to sleep well without a decent pillow and often sleep in clothes as I use a light sleeping bag to keep weight down. I tried some of the cheapy inflatables but they didn't last. I've now got an exped one and although it's not quite all the comfort of home it makes a real difference.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Exped-Air-Pillow.html
 hpil 30 Dec 2017

The foil bag from a wine box. Inflatable, light if you empty the wine out first, practical and luxurious if you leave the wine in and cover it with an inside out fleece.
 IPPurewater 01 Jan 2018

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HFFUV4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s0...

I bought one of these. It is small enough to fit inside the hood of my sleeping bag and weighs only 41g. I still prefer clothes inside a stuff bag though, as you can mould the shape a bit.

We also have a larger Mammut air pillow, which doesn't fit inside the hood, so you usually slip off it in the night.
 harlequin100 01 Jan 2018

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-pillow-id_8382813.html

it seems ok, light and packs down small. You still know it is an air pillow though!
 thlcr1 01 Jan 2018

I use a Thermarest compressible pillow in size medium. It's the most like a proper pillow I've come across. Yet. As I like high pillow and this isn't quite hight enough on its own, I cut down a normal pillow case to be a few inches larger all round than the Thermarest pillow and fitted a zip to the open end. My down jacket then gets stuffed in UNDERNEATH the pillow to add a few inches of height without changing the feel. Works pretty well all round.

Lee
 echo34 01 Jan 2018
The Thermarest compressible pillows are nice, I only use mine in campsites, but they roll up reasonably small and are very comfortable. Made of lots of small pieces of foam.
 girlymonkey 01 Jan 2018

I have used a few inflatable pillows, this one is fantastic. I got one for my husband's 86 year old granny for her camping trip last year (genuinely, she's incredible!) And was so impressed that we each got one

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/sea-to-summit-aeros-premium-pillow-large-p389045&...
OP martinturner 03 Jan 2018

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Think I’ll have a look at the thermorest and the Exped, they seem to be the most recommended.

Has anyone ever tried the Nemo Fillow? Expensive, but looks very good?
 Fiona Reid 03 Jan 2018

Exped Air Pillow, inflatable, light, compact, seems to stop me getting a sore neck which is a problem if I use the rolled up clothing approach. FWIW, I use it camping but also in huts etc when you don't have pillows provided.
 Dell 03 Jan 2018
In reply to jimtitt:

Do you stuff a jumper in it?
 Dell 03 Jan 2018

I find the inflatables a bit 'sweaty' and if you adjust your position slightly the air pocket moves to one side and the level of support you get changes slightly, enough to wake me up.
I've got one of these, which I use on top of a rolled up fleece/jacket.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/gelert-camping-pillow-784094
 Dell 03 Jan 2018

I was half expecting the original question to be: "to bite, or not to bite?"
cb294 03 Jan 2018

Even though I tend to get problems in the neck when camping without a firm pillow, I believe that dedicated travel pillows are dead weight. Instead, I use a Ortlieb or similar light, airtight bag, ideally one with a valve for compression. I carry a couple of these bags anyway for keeping my spare clothes and sleeping bag 100% dry during the day, and will fashion a proper pillow out of it at night by stuffing one bag with a fleece or similar, rolling it shut, and adjusting air to the desired thickness and firmness. Works a treat for me, and I have relegated my travel pillows for transatlantic flights.

CB
Removed User 03 Jan 2018

Exped pillow pump. I no longer use it to inflate the mattress but I do use it as a pillow and find it perfect.

I always use a rope.
 ben b 04 Jan 2018

Mrs B had a Nemo Fillo under the christmas tree this year (got it cheap in a sale in Melbourne) - limited testing so far, but will be used all next week so will need to report back. Certainly feels less sweaty than the waterproof bladder types tend to, and very comfy when used as a cushion!

Sea to Summit Aeros good (when I can wrestle it out from under my eldest son's head, bah).

At 80g it's a reasonable weight penalty to luxury ratio!

b

The Nemo Filo is expensive but packs fairly small and is very comfortable. I think it's a good compromise between a Thermarest pillow (so comfy! but takes up quite a bit of space if you're just going for a quick weekend away) and the Exped one (which packs down to nothing but I find too rigid and slippery). It's a combination of compressible foam and inflatable pocket, so you can adjust for side sleeping or back sleeping with a nice bit of soft squidge from the foam. The valve is a bit fiddly to work at first but have used it as my camping pillow for over a year and highly recommend it if you're willing to splash. The outer is fine fleece and removable for washing, and you can remove the foam for airing if it gets a bit stinky.
 mrphilipoldham 04 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

I've got one of the inflatable pillows, it's ok if you leave it a little deflated though it does usually ping out from under your head at some point in the night if your bag doesn't have a pocket for it.
 ipfreely 06 Jan 2018

I use an Exped air pillow, packs down small & is great.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/exped_air__pillow/?utm_source=froogle&utm_me...
 Timmd 06 Jan 2018

This pillow gets consistent 5 star reviews, and I have one very similar with a different brand name on which is fine too.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-luxury-pillow-p360865

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...