UKC

The perfect novice/client harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Wakeham 20 Jan 2018

As a follow on to my 'do I really have to destroy all my old harnesses?' thread:

I'm now looking to buy new harnesses to use for clients.  My work is generally more about introducing adults and older children to climbing as a pursuit that they want to learn more about, and not much about school groups and taster sessions.  So, criteria for my ideal client harnesses:

* tough as old boots

* have a proper belay loop and two tie-in points (so ruling out the DMM Centre Alpine)

* Hugely adjustable, preferably one-size-fits-all

* cheap

* at least a couple of gear loops

* manufacturer stated lifetime at least ten years (I've heard rumours that there is a manufacturer stating 15 years but I'm damned if I can find them).

I'm aware that what I am describing here is just the old CAMP centre harness with added gear loops - but they don't seem to be in production any more.  The DMM Brenin looks to be the closest match... but it only has one gear loop, and honestly £49 seems a bit steep! 

Has anyone experience with the Simond harnesses that Decathlon sells for insanely low prices? The 'Easy 3' looks like you are supposed to tie in only via the orange belay loop, which would rule it out for me (I want to be able to teach people to tie in 'properly' right from the start) but the 'Rock Adjustable' might do the job.

Any I've missed?

olddirtydoggy 20 Jan 2018
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Go outdoors regularly has the Mammut offer on where you get the harness, plate and locker for about 50 quid. That's twice I've seen that and both times we've had beginners buy it. Edit: £75 atm but 10% off that.

Post edited at 14:35

Hi there,

If you've not already seen it from when Paul previously posted it on UKC, see https://www.facebook.com/rockandwateradventures/posts/1698306633543563 for full details of manufacturers recommended lifetimes.

FWIW I've gone for a couple of Petzl Corax, size 1 which covers most people.

HeMa 20 Jan 2018

Remember. If you’re doing things for business, then you must also be qualified and thus entitled to proforms. 

For What it is worth, I would perhaps look into Ocun WeBee harnesses. Cheap, ’proper’ harness and quite hard wearing. 

OP Jamie Wakeham 21 Jan 2018

Thanks all.  Mark, that's a very useful link.  Does seem that the absolute best on offer is ten years from first use.

I am qualified and insured, HeMa, but thanks for asking! 

The lad has a Simond harness and it seems well made for the money. I've always been impressed with Decathlon kit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...