UKC

REVIEW: Therm-a-rest MondoKing 3D Sleeping Mattress

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 24 May 2022

The MondoKing 3D is Therm-a-Rest's warmest, most supportive and most comfortable camping mat. No lightweight, to put it mildly, this chunky inflatable mattress is strictly for car camping where a small pack size and low weight offer no real benefit, and a bit more luxury is no bad thing.

Read more

In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

As an owner of a truly massive sleeping mat myself I never thought I'd experience FOMO from anyone else's...until I saw this...

Words cannot express the bitterness I felt towards you on that Pembroke trip John

Neil Williams 24 May 2022

So it's an extremely expensive airbed, basically?

I suppose some will pay for something that doesn't involve admitting they're getting old and so want an airbed

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Haha, I know! Especially on a longer trip like Pembroke was, I reckon you get quite a bit of benefit in the later days purely just by being that bit more rested.
Genuinely at the time it was comfier than my mattress (without my mattress topper). That may be more due to the fact that my mattress was utterly awful though haha! 

In reply to Neil Williams:

Like I say in the concluding remarks, I think many who would consider something of the size and comfort of an inflatable airbed will end up being put off by the MondoKing's price tag and opt for the airbed instead. After just spending a week on my aunt's inflatable airbed, there is no doubt that the MondoKing is quite a bit comfier - mainly down to the foam inner. How much that difference in comfort matters to you is obviously down to personal opinion.

Danbow73 24 May 2022

I Was thinking of getting one of these but am yet to find anywhere that sells them and has them in stock! 

Xharlie 24 May 2022
In reply to John McKenna - Rockfax:

I've spent whole weeks on these and, honestly, I can't stomach an airbed or other inflatable mattresses, in general.

These MondoKing things are actually so comfortable, I've spent many a sleepless night in my real, proper, grown-up, in-the-house bed contemplating going downstairs to fetch mine and setting it out on the floor as a more comfortable option.

Mine is about 18 months old and doesn't leak, too, which is practically a record for anything which air goes in, in my opinion.

If the price tag or lack of availability is off-putting try the Berghaus 100mm thick self inflating one. £99 from go outdoors and it has revolutionised car camping for me. Much more comfy and warmer than an airbed. Just spent 6 nights on it on Arran. Self inflation works well just 10 or so breaths to top it up to desired firmness, and didn't seem to deflate at all over 6 nights.

CantClimbTom 24 May 2022

That's huge. You sure the article's picture isn't a bouldering pad 🤣

In reply to Xharlie:

Haha, brilliant. After spending long trips on the MondoKing as well I can honestly believe this.
Yes, I should have mentioned in the review. I have now had mine 12months or so and no leaks. 

Post edited at 20:23
 StuPoo2 26 May 2022

I can also recommend Decathalon's car camping mattress and bed base combo if you're talking the big tent along i.e. family camping etc.

The bed base takes you way up off the ground and creates some storage options.

You can actually clip 2x of these things together to make a king!!!!!

Mattress:  https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-mattress-ultim-comfort-70-...

Bed base:  https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/single-inflatable-camping-bed-base/_/R-p-3098...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...