UKC

REVIEW: Thermowave Merino Xtreme Baselayer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 01 Mar 2019
Merino Xtreme Close upThe Thermowave Merino Xtreme is a long-sleeved, high necked baselayer which uses a combination of polyester and merino wool to keep you warm without feeling itchy. Best of both worlds?

Read more
 GraB 04 Mar 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Is this mulesed (and certified as such) or non-mulesed merino?

In reply to GraB:

Good question Graham, I'll ask

In reply to GraB:

We've had a quick response: Thermowave are certified 100% mulesing free

I looked up what mulesing actually is. It's not nice

GraB 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

No, its not nice. And not necessary either.

I had a quick scan of their website to try and find the answer before posting my question. I couldn't see any reference to their sourcing of wool and it seems odd not to include this info somewhere - surely it would only ever be taken in a positive light? If you've got something to differentiate yourself from the less ethical merino stuff on the market then why wouldn't you ? They're not alone in missing a trick though. 

Post edited at 08:27
 P-squared 07 Mar 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

As with many things, I'm not so sure it's as black and white as that:

https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/agribusiness/farm-magazine/over-the-fence...

As long as the sheep are anaesthetised, surely mulesing is a resonable response to control fly strike (which is horrible and can be deadly)? (I realise we're very far from hiking subjects here!)

Post edited at 11:34
 GraB 07 Mar 2019
In reply to P-squared:

No, I think it is actually quite black and white. The RSPCA Australia view is that is isn't necessary as a general procedure i.e. the way it is used as a widespread practice today. By taking a better approach to animal husbandry there are much better, more humane, means of controlling flystrike.  

https://kb.rspca.org.au/what-is-mulesing-and-what-are-the-alternatives_113....

Anaesthetic or lack of it is just one part of the argument but it isn't something that is routinely done, as I understand.

Post edited at 11:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...