UKC

Three season waterproof jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ARussell 24 Oct 2021

Hi folks, I'm looking for advice on a good replacement for my Patagonia Torrentshell for three-season/non-arduous winter use (I also have a Rab Latok Alpine which is heavier).

I've seen this from Simond (https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-mountaineering-waterproof-jacket-alpini...) which looks interesting, but does anyone here have any experience of it. I'd have to buy online without trying, which makes me a bit uneasy about sizing, particularly due to some of the reviews.

The ME Skardu, Montane Minimus and Alpine Shift, and Alpkit Balance look interesting too, but the Skardu, Alpine Shift, and Balance are a bit more expensive, and I've found Montane's sizing to be a bit unreliable.

I've you've got experience of any of these, or can recommend any others I should consider, I'd be happy to get your thoughts.

Alan

Doug 24 Oct 2021
In reply to ARussell:

I very recently bought one of those as a light weight waterproof to replace a now very old Marmot Precip, I have other jackets which are tougher but heavier for seriously bad weather. Yet to wear it in more than a light shower (I live in the south of the French Alps so less rain than eg Scotland) but seems OK so far. The only thing I don't like is that there is no built in way of rolling the hood to form a collar although a short length of cord does the trick but less neatly than on my old jacket, or other jackets from Vertical, North Face, Lowe Alpine etc

HeMa 24 Oct 2021
In reply to ARussell:

Get my that is light enough and fits you well. 

the lighter the jacket, the less robust. 

also, the WP solutions differ greatly. Some are Ok, others… well you get wetter from sweat than had you not have any jacket on in the rain .

some nearly there solutions like really water repellent windbreakers might be an option. 

for What it’s worth I have a Haglöfs Proof thin rain jacket. Not as nice as proper 3L GorePro, but has felt better than the Precips I’ve had.

oh, also look at Biking brands and Mountain running brands for options. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...