UKC

Top ten brands ever

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Based on longevity, long term product focus, sustained high quality of manufacture. It took my about 30 seconds to knock up this list so feel free to rip it apart.

Helly Hansen
Grenfell
La Sportiva
Grivel
Patagonia
Buffalo
Primus
Silva
Arc'teryx
DMM
 Dave Murphy 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com:

gota be oxo been around 4 ever
 newhey 12 Jun 2007

Karrimor back in the old days. My rucksack is 20 years old and still going strong. Before anyone starts I know they are pish now.
 GarethSL 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: in order:

DMM
Grivel
Arc'teryx
Patagonia
La Sportiva
Silva
Primus
Helly Hansen
Grenfell
Buffallo

what about ME MHW black diamond and all the trillion other makes out there?

My list would be

DMM
Petzl Charlet
Black Diamond
Arc'teryx
Mountain Hardwear

and thats about it
 David Hooper 12 Jun 2007
Add Scarpa
BD and Marmot
 wushu 12 Jun 2007

5:10 maybe?
In reply to newhey:

I would have had Karrimor in there if they were still the old Karrimor that we knew and loved.
In reply to Gaz lord:

MHW have not been around long enough for my list and perhaps lack founder credibility
 Morgan Woods 12 Jun 2007

suprised you omitted Mammut
 Morgan Woods 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods:

and Coca Cola
 GarethSL 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: niether have arc'teryx they been alive what since 91? and mountain hardwear only 2 years younger! you should put berghaus and ME in their place then if you are looking for long term brands.
skarabrae 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods: and stella
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Yeah, ok. Climbing/mountaineering brands that is...
 twm.bwen 12 Jun 2007
Surely you have to compare brands that make the same item, otherwise its a bit of a pointless venture. a set of DMM nuts way outlasts a HH thermal but lacks in the cut, breathability and wicking side of things.

Likewise Buffalo jackets are excellent at keep[ing you warm but don't have the simmer control of the primus.
In reply to twm.bwen:
> (In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com)
> Surely you have to compare brands that make the same item, otherwise its a bit of a pointless venture. a set of DMM nuts way outlasts a HH thermal but lacks in the cut, breathability and wicking side of things.

I tried to choose brands from different product areas with the same attributes. e.g. footwear, hardware, clothing etc.
 beermonkey 12 Jun 2007

Don't really agree with Helly Hansen, yeah they still make some decent base layers but what else do they produce of any note? Barring chav jackets!

I'd add Mammut and Montane.
 twm.bwen 12 Jun 2007
Fair enough then.
In reply to beermonkey:
>
> Don't really agree with Helly Hansen, yeah they still make some decent base layers but what else do they produce of any note?

Probably the best fleece mid-layer available. Still better than anything anyone else has come up with in the last 25 years in my opinion. Their cheapo pile lined mitts are excellent too.
 GarethSL 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: i must admit i did quite fancy one of their e-vent ski jackets at one point they looked reallt good, but then chav brand so no:P
 twm.bwen 12 Jun 2007
Which mid layer fleece is that then, that's quite an acolade.
In reply to Gaz lord:

Yeah, they seemd to make a big mistake with all that Chav product. Perhaps they should have stuck to their guns with base layers, fleece, and sailing stuff.
 GarethSL 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: sailors now probably think of HH as we think of berghaus
 Al Evans 12 Jun 2007
Such a naughty post Andy
In reply to twm.bwen:
> Which mid layer fleece is that then, that's quite an acolade.

Interestingly I couldn’t find it on the ‘Outdoor’ section of their site but this looks pretty close under ‘Workwear’

http://www.hhworkwear.net/index.php?menu=99999&categoryID=4&action=...
In reply to Al Evans:

Sorry Al. Forgive me.
 VisionSet 12 Jun 2007

In no particular order

Macpac
Mountain Equipment
Black Diamond
DMM
Mammut
Sportiva
Patagonia
Lowe
Phoenix (as was)
MSR
 Tony the Blade 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Gaz lord:

gotta be Burberry
 sutty 12 Jun 2007

Optimus/primus.
Mountain equipment and PJH in its various lives.
Silva.
Helly.
Blacks/Vango
Scarpa
Millet sacks
DMM
Mammut.
Chouinard and its offspring
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 12 Jun 2007

No mention of Wild Country?

Chris
Apex Distribution 12 Jun 2007

RP's
Yates - Were bias on this one..
PHD

Thats all for now, i've got to get back to work.

Jim

srnet 12 Jun 2007
> Based on longevity, long term product focus, sustained high quality of manufacture. It took my about 30 seconds to knock up this list so feel free to rip it apart.

> Silva

This is a joke surely ?

For at least the last 3 years Silva have been selling (very expensive) compasses with a known defect.

The degree markings rub off and are unreadable after a few months use. Silva know of the problem but the defective stock is still in the shops.

A responsible manufacturer would have withdrawn the defective stock years ago.

Strike Silva from the list please.
srnet 12 Jun 2007

Vango ?

Blacks of Grenock ?
 Mike P 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: For quality and product service it's got to be Pod. Indestructable sacks, and when you do want a repair, the do the best. Get yours now befor they switch production to the Far East now the brand has been sold. Look at what has happened to all the other formally great brands once they switched to Far Eastern production.
 Padraig 12 Jun 2007

Helly Hansen (old school)
North Face (Present school)
Haglofs (new school)
 sutty 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Mike P:

POD did not meet all the criteria of Andy, though I am sure that in time, they and Patagonia and Buffalo and Grivel? will all be there if they keep the same quality, along with Rab and some other tent makers who rise above the rest as the old Phoenix firm did.
srnet 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Padraig:

> Helly Hansen (old school)

Oh yes !

Do you remember the late 1970s when lots of people were walking the hills in the HH PVC/cotton waterproofs ?

Mostly orange as I recall.

Padraig 12 Jun 2007
In reply to srnet:

When I say "old school" I mean black and white stripes on sleeves!!
Removed User 13 Jun 2007

Patagonia
Chouinard/BD
Petzl
DMM
Wild Country
MSR
Hilleberg
POD
Grivel
Boreal

VisionSet 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Removed User:

Petzl!! What a bunch toss products they've produced over the years. As much as I am a bit of a francophile, they really do produce some shit. And contenders for the 100m headtorch dash, oh there's just Petzl, guess they've won then.
Removed User 13 Jun 2007
In reply to VisionSet:

You been on the sauce?

They gave us The Headtorch, the gri gri, and more inventive ropework kit than everyone else combined. They may be more connected to caving and roped access, but they have had a pretty big and positive impact on mountaineering kit.
 VisionSet 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Removed User: There most notable product was the headtorch, shame it was shit. But yes there other stuff was innovative, never going to get into my top 10 though. Apart from that your list is pretty spot on, scarpa/boreal same company though aren't they?
Removed User 13 Jun 2007
In reply to VisionSet:

Not much wrong with the old zoom when there was bugger all else. My 20 year old one still does the biz in winter (and I do have a lighter led one for less light demanding activities).

Scarpa and Boreal may be now related, don't know. Boreal gave us sticky rubber with which to cheat our way up the Etive slabs, for which we should be mightily grateful.
 sutty 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Removed User:

My old pifco was better than the petzl, at least it went downstream lit underwater to Loch Torridon as I dropped it putting it on.

love your best climbing experiences
 dek 13 Jun 2007
Point five,
Salewa crampons,
Koflach boots
Stubai,
Millet
Edelrid
Lowe Alpine
Primus
Chouinard
 sutty 13 Jun 2007
In reply to dek:

good list

goodnight
 dek 13 Jun 2007
In reply to sutty:
Gnite!
 Mystery Toad 13 Jun 2007

Fredrick's Of Hollywood
Doc Marten's
Alembic
Trader Joe's
Any Beverage With A Paper Umbrella
Aligator Records
Ralph Records
Star*ucks (don't act like you don't go there)
Stolitchnaya
Bayer Aspirin
 co1ps 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: actually, it's about cut and label, so..

Prana
Arcteryx
Moon/s7
 IanJackson 13 Jun 2007

Buffalo
PHD
Rab
Lowe Alpine
Wild country
Ron Hill
DMM
La Sportiva
 GrahamD 13 Jun 2007
In reply to IanJackson:

Yep - Ron Hill has to be there.
In reply to VisionSet:
> (In reply to biped)
>
> Petzl!! What a bunch toss products they've produced over the years. As much as I am a bit of a francophile, they really do produce some shit. And contenders for the 100m headtorch dash, oh there's just Petzl, guess they've won then.

Tibloc
Tikka
Reverso
Meteor
Nomic
Ecrin
Elios
Spirit Karabiners
E Lite
Shunt
Grigri

Toss Products?

I'd say Petzl are about the most innovative climbing company out there.
 VisionSet 13 Jun 2007
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

> I'd say Petzl are about the most innovative climbing company out there.

Well no not quite, but in an alzheimer induced haze I was just thinking of their torches.
 graeme jackson 13 Jun 2007
kellogs
Daz
Coca cola
persil
fairy
hovis
heinz
tudor
branston
sunpat
 graeme jackson 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Mystery Toad:
>
> Alembic
I'm warming to you regis. i have 3.
 GarethSL 13 Jun 2007
In reply to VisionSet: c'mon have you not used quarks?!!!!
 GarethSL 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: oh and whoever posted millet in their top 10 if it was for their clothing... hang your head in shame! ropes and boots are good tho
In reply to wushu:
>
> 5:10 maybe?

Is pinkness a consideration?
 sutty 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Gaz lord:

http://www.ice-factor.co.uk/Millet

The link to their site seems to be down.
 GarethSL 13 Jun 2007
In reply to sutty: and...

Here are some that should be there but not mentioned;

Nalgene
Beal
Buff
Bridgedale
OS
Thermarest
Vaude
Sigg
trangia
Meindl
 GarethSL 13 Jun 2007
In reply to sutty: 'If we find just one weak point in quality or functionality, we go back to the drawing board.'

right then my softshell thats just fallen appart.. explain that please? plus its all french:P
 GrahamD 13 Jun 2007
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

Nalgene ? do they do anything other than flog over priced drinks bottles ?
 newhey 13 Jun 2007

Harveys maps
Cicerone Press
Luath Press
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: No one has mentioned Paramo. Are they no good? Really impressed with the Velex (sp?) smock I've got.

Not a mention of ROCKFAX????
 Chris F 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: I thought tattoos and piercings were more popular than brands?
 Doug 13 Jun 2007
Is this just a UK list ? if you asked the question in France I'm sure Millet & Petzl would be top of the list, in Canada no doubt MEC would get a mention for their clothing, rucksacs & tents, presume in NZ MacPac would get in together with Fairy Down (do they still exist ?)

gear boy 13 Jun 2007
> Based on longevity, long term product focus, sustained high quality of manufacture. It took my about 30 seconds to knock up this list so feel free to rip it apart.

ajungilak? 150 years old, bags havent changed in years, still good

struggling to think of an older outdoor brand
jamieinnewcastle 13 Jun 2007
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.)
>
> Nalgene ? do they do anything other than flog over priced drinks bottles ?

Actually I think they also may flog over priced lab equipment specifically designed for working with small rodents.
See here for an example.
http://www.nalgenelabware.com/products/productDetail.asp?product_id=727&...

They should be struck off the list on ethical grounds I think!
 Flicka 13 Jun 2007

Mine would be: (in no particular order)

DMM
Rab
Patagonia
Camp (pro nuts, for a start)
Beal
Haglofs
Alpkit! (If that counts)
Salomon (for boots that actually fit my feet)

That's all for now!
 johnbale 13 Jun 2007
There are so many!
most companies are very good at one or two things and ok at other things. also personal preferance proberbally makes up alot of how we tell the difference from the very top brands i.e patagonia fit me great but Mountain Hardware doesnt. and i really like BD cams and petzl ice screws.

John

Russ Walling 13 Jun 2007

Where is the LOVE!!! FISH Products in the top 3 for sure. Longevity in the industry, durability, function, price, and the intangible of "coolness" just oozes from this industry leader.
Bradasmc 16 Jun 2007
In reply to Flicka: Brasher (their Hillmaster boot is the best i've ever purchased) Bridgedale socks are the bussines, Ajungilak, Berghause and helly hansen. Northface waterproof jackets are a bag of shite.
>
> Helly Hansen

Are their products any better than Patagonia's capiline and regulator, base layers and fleeces? Arguabley Patagonia invented polyester base layers and very the first company to producede none pilling fleece in form of synchillia.

> Grenfell

Who? Aren't they a running brand?

> La Sportiva

Granted - Very High Quaility well made and inovative products that have been around for ages like: Mythos, Nepals Tops, Spaniks, Olympus Mons, Trangos ect.

> Grivel

Great well made kit, however i feel Black Diamond are more deserving of this place due to still being making the only ice tool, which you can realistically change a broken pick on a route. As well as the orginal Wiregate krab, and the first descent screwin/out ice screws and the first asermetric hexentrics and camalots.

> Patagonia

Granted. Really nice well made and inovitive brand. Constantly redesigning their products and making brilliant bits of kit like, Mixmasters pants and Jackets, Grade VI jackets, DAS Parkas and other sythetic products.

> Buffalo

Although its well made kit. I don't tihnk it deserves a place in the top ten best brands ever.

> Primus

Arn't MSR a more inovitive and equally well made brand.

> Silva

Well made stuff that lasts, but i think a tent or sleeping bag company deserves a place more.

> Arc'teryx

Very nice looking kit, that well made. But as brand have the actually done anything revolutionary? Alot of their features seem very gimmicky to me. I think TNF, who although arn't a fraction of the brand they once were, but have made some fantastic products, like those mountain jacket and bibs that came in pink and yellow and Tents like the VE25, which have remained virtually unchanged for near 25 years.

> DMM

Absolutely, all their gear is superb well made an inovitive. They are also constantly improving perfectly good products.

In My view from a purley climbing and winter climbing view the top ten most influentcail and inovitive brands would be:

DMM
Wild Country

Friends - arguable the most important devolpment in climbing since the invention of karabiner. Also Rocks and HB offsets.

Black Diamond
Mammut

Really nice well made ropes, which handle nicely and very durable. + a range of inovitive and well made clothing.

Aiguille Alpine

Extremly well made rucksacks, which are made still made in the UK. Also the only rucksack manufacture which will customise their bags to suit you.

Peter Hutchinson

The best down bags and clothing avalible anywhere.

The North Face
Patagonia
Hilleberg

Well made, light weight, but durable tents.

Sportiva

nolan 17 Jun 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: i thought the thing with Grivel was that the picks never break so you would never need replacements
 Glyno 17 Jun 2007

Mammu... sorry, Marmo... sorry, Marmite!
 Mord 18 Jun 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> (
> [Buffalo]
>
> Although its well made kit. I don't tihnk it deserves a place in the top ten best brands ever.
>
>

I can't quite see how the people who invented the idea that breathability is more important than being waterproof (soft shell as it is now called) about 30 years ago, and that every other outdoor clothing brand are now doing it cannot make the top ten. I think they should be in the top 5 along with people like Wild Country who invented the friend.

IMHO

Mord
In reply to Mord:

Fair enough. Maybe Buffalo deserve TNF's place. Apparentley the harris tweed was the Original Soft shell though!

I still think those pink TNF goretex jacket and pants looks way way cooler though!
 Timmd 27 Jun 2007

Pod
Petzl(but not for headtorches)
DMM
Rab
PHD
MSR
Wild Counry
NorthCape
Hillberg

I could only think of 9.
 Timmd 27 Jun 2007

Hilleberg.

I'm not really a gear freak.

Cheers
Tim
 Timmd 27 Jun 2007

Macpac.

My Rucksack is brilliant.

Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...