UKC

Totem basic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lanky 19 Jun 2018

hi,

anyone know when these will be available again?

thanks

Paul Hy 19 Jun 2018
In reply to lanky:

V12 have them in stock inc the Black.  i ordered one few days ago.

https://www.v12outdoor.com/view-by-category/rock-climbing-gear/camming-devi...

oops sorry. they have the Totems not the Basics

Post edited at 10:00
OP lanky 19 Jun 2018
In reply to Paul Hy:

Haven't been any around for about a year now, keep waiting to get some but might just buy a different brand

Tigger 19 Jun 2018
In reply to lanky:

I heard they wpuld be back in shelves this year however I dont know how well informed my source was. My GF uses the Alien Revolutions and they seem well built (better than the evolutions). Personally I'd go for then or wait till DMM Dragonflys come into stick next spring.

valjean 19 Jun 2018
In reply to lanky:

there is one online vendor in Canada that has a few left.  Kailas branded totem basic cams.   But Kailas is no longer buying Totem cams in the future.  So what is left is what is left.  With the exchange rate, it might not actually be that much more expensive than buying local.  Let me know if you want the info and Im pretty sure I have an unlimited discount code of 10% off for the store

OP lanky 20 Jun 2018
In reply to valjean:

Thanks but I'll leave it, the duty incurred would make it pricey. Cheers

In reply to lanky:

Sorry for the delayed reply, we've just returned from OutDoor - hence I completely missed this thread.

Having spoken to the distributor, I believe there won't be any Basics made until 2019 (shocking though that seems). I still think they're the best out there, but this may change given the announcement of DMM's Dragonfly, which look amazing; however, they too won't arrive until spring 2019.

As such you're posed with the dilemma of whether to wait or to buy the closest alternative: the Alien Evolution.

OP lanky 20 Jun 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Hmmmm decisions, thanks for the info Rob

Tigger 20 Jun 2018

Hi bud, have I got my evolution and revolutions mixed up? I thought the Evos were discontinued due to quality issues and re-released with the solid rather than braided wires and metal triggers rather than plastic under the Revolution name?

Cheers 

Michael.

Post edited at 16:27
In reply to Tigger:

You know what, I hesitated as I typed that original message, but didn't hesitate enough to actually go and check. You're quite right - it was the Revoluton I was thinking of.

Post edited at 16:38
 Mr. Lee 20 Jun 2018
In reply to lanky:

A bit off-topic, but I'm surprised there are so many posts about micro cams at the moment. I own quite a few but only really use them on bold stuff where gear options are very limited or needs a lot of improvisation. Typically slabs. Otherwise there's usually enough gear options and if there's an equally good larger cam placement I'm usually opting for that. I guess it depends what rock one regularly climbs but, a bit like IMPs, they're not the sort of gear I'd buy unless I had demonstrated a prior need. Not directed at the OP, more a general observation.

In reply to Mr. Lee:

I think I take my Green - Red Basics on virtually ever route over E1 and place them all the time. On routes of E3 and above I tend to bump this up to include Black and Blue, which I definitely use a little less, but still quite a lot. Certain rock types are definitely better than others, but I’d say virtually all rock types favour a micro cam now and again, certainly enough to warrant carrying them (although I completely accept not everyone will feel this way).

Post edited at 21:35
 Mr. Lee 20 Jun 2018

Yeah actually those larger Totem Basics aren't that micro. I'd call them small or mini I probably place those sizes regularly as well. I tend to think of placements as being around 18mm-ish and under. Anyway, I'll stop the highjack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...