UKC

Totem cam vs Basic cam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
needvert 01 Jun 2013
I have a set of Totem cams, which are awesome. The feel more solid than my C4s.

Though as I aim to aid, the fame of the alien cams is hard to miss. It would seem Totem basics are the best alien cam replicas yet.

But, looking at the ranges, the totem cams cover a wider crack size than the basic cams, though are a little bit heavier.

The basics do have softer lobs, though the totems I believe have higher outward pressure. (basics = 6061-T6, totems = 7075-T6 )

The basics also take up less space on the rack.

Is it worth bothering with the basics?

remus Global Crag Moderator 01 Jun 2013
In reply to needvert: If you've got a set of totem's I wouldn't bother with the basics. They basically fill the same niche (smallish cams to fit in weird placements) and the totems do it better.
 David Coley 01 Jun 2013
In reply to needvert: If you plan to aid in Yosemite, not until you have a set of offset cams.
needvert 04 Jun 2013
In reply to David Coley:
> (In reply to needvert) If you plan to aid in Yosemite, not until you have a set of offset cams.

I have thought about the offset cams. So they hold better in flaring cracks?
(Alledgedly the totem cams are better in flaring cracks than regular cams, are offsets still better?)

I got the impression a key use of offsets was in pin scars. My country doesn't have as much of a history in aid, so offsets haven't been too high on the agenda. But despite having too much gear...I'd be open to getting a set of offsets.

Timmd 04 Jun 2013
In reply to needvert:

http://www.fixehardware.com/shop/cch-aliens/

This is the full range of Aliens, I think.
 rgold 08 Jun 2013
In reply to needvert:

Totems (not the basics) cover Aliens down to the yellow Alien. The three Alien sizes below that are (in descending size order) green, blue, and black. But now those three sizes are approximately covered by the new BD X4 blue, yellow and red, and the X4's seem better to me.

For extra versatility, add a set of BD C3's, whose size ranges do not exactly match the corresponding Totems and X4's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...