UKC

Tough wheeled duffle - Ortlieb RS/RG

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jackth 15 May 2019

I have literally never had a wheeled bag last me more than a year without serious holes, much duck taping, and safety pinning of zips. That said, I've never really paid serious money for one. But the constant fear of the bag splitting and my tangerine underwear falling out in front of a flight attendant, or my precious collection of Icelandic sagas getting soaked while wheeling it through Edinburgh on a rainy night on the way to the tram stop is starting to become tiring. 

I have one of those ME holdalls, which is tough and keeps everything dry but when it's full, it's only good for carrying from the house to the car, car to airport trolley etc. When you might need to lug it across a city and the cost of taxis is prohibitive, wheels are best. 

So I've been thinking, there must be a holdall with the waterproof/durability of the ME kit bag, but also with wheels. The ones that come closest to fitting the bill are the following: 

- Osprey Rolling Transporter

- Ortlieb Duffle RS/RG

I've not included the various NF/Patagonia variations on the wheeled duffle as they don't seem to have any increased clearance/protection around bottom of the bag where it might start to fall apart, something that has frequently happened to me.

The Ortlieb RG looks perfect, but I'm slightly concerned that 85L (the biggest version) won't be enough for big trips, and I'm really looking for a bag that I can use in nearly every travel situation. The bigger model, the RS (110L and 140L), also looks really good but it doesn't have a telescoping handle, and this just makes me think that lugging it around is going to still be a bit of a nightmare. 

So, has anyone had any experience with either of the Ortlieb bags, or has any input on the applicability of the 90L vs 120L Osprey one? My imminent use will be shoving it full of camping and archaeology equipment and throwing it on boats, dragging it over rough terrain. But I'd also like a bag that just survives for a while. 

OP jackth 15 May 2019
In reply to jackth:

PS. I've had Ortlieb Panniers for a while and absolutely love them, so I know the Ortlieb bags will be tough and waterproof. 

AlanLittle 15 May 2019
In reply to jackth:

I have the RS in the biggest size - slight pain in the ass because I often have to check it in as oversized luggage, should have bought the next size down really. My own fault for being tight and buying it from a factory seconds shop where they didn't have the size I really wanted.

Otoh that size is ok to tow without an extendable handle, a smaller one might be awkward.

Had it a couple of years now, nothing has broken yet so no surprises there.

Murd 15 May 2019
In reply to jackth:

Recently bought the wheeled version from Lifeventure, seems pretty robust and big, only done one Kaly trip with it but was happy with it so far. Other stuff on the link maybe of interest

https://www.lifeventure.com/products/bags-and-storage/travel-duffle-bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...