UKC

Universal captive lock for carabiners?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 15 Jul 2019

I've had a look around and I think they probably don't exist but I thought I'd check with the UKC knowledge base before moving on to alternatives! I know there are plenty options for carabiners which hold the rope captive to avoid cross loading but for a variety of reasons non of them are really ideal for what I need and I'm not looking for recomendations of said carabiners.

Petzl make the captiv bar but it's designed to fit on their carabiners (www.petzl.com/GB/en/Professional/Connectors/CAPTIV). Does anyone make something similar that aims to be universal and would fit on a standard D shaped carabiner? A stiff rubber version of the captiv that you could slide around into place is the sort of thing I had in mind but I haven't seen any.

(This is the carabiner that it would be used with - www.camp-usa.com/outdoor/product/carabiners/steel-d-pro-3lock-carabiner/)

GHawksworth 15 Jul 2019
In reply to Sharp:

DMM were supposed to release exactly that this year called the captiv-8 but I hear it just didn't work well so in true DMM style, they pulled it after showing it about.

Give em a ring to see if they've got any lying about? Doubt it though

OP Sharp 16 Jul 2019
In reply to GHawksworth:

Thanks, looks nice and light. I wonder what the issues were with it.

FlyingHigh 16 Jul 2019
In reply to Sharp:

What is it about that Camp Karabiner that means you have to use it? What about the ISC KH404 D shaped stainless krab? Made in wales and can be made with a captive bar. Would that work? 

Deadeye 16 Jul 2019
In reply to Sharp:

Just use an o ring dude.

OP Sharp 17 Jul 2019
In reply to FlyingHigh:

A variety of reasons I guess but non of them deal breakers, limiting the spread of trade accounts we need to deal with, the cost when bulk buying, continuity across different areas of operation. We don't have to use them at all but it's preferable and there are general benefits to limiting the range of equipment you have to deal with. IIRC they have a 15KN rating across their minor axis so worrying about cross loading with a tripple lock crab in a top rope setup is a little ott imo but such is life.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...