UKC

Update on Wild Country Reslinging?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulJepson 10 May 2021

Does anyone in the know have any information on Wild Country's re-slinging plans? Coming up to a year since they announced it and as far as I know nothing has been said about it since the initial press-release. 

I think someone said they were only planning on re-slinging new Friends and Zeros. As an owner of Tech Friends and Rockcentrics, I would be interested to know if that is still the case. Their press release stated "The potential lifespan of metal products is unlimited, since the effective lifespan depends on the previously mentioned factors." so I would hope they would also re-sling older metals if in reasonably condition. 

In reply to PaulJepson:

Hey Paul,

It's still on the cards just taking time to figure out best place to offer the service from. Sounds dull but Brexit hasn't helped as Oberalp is trying to figure out best shipping services to avoid huge costs. Another things that's not helping is the new CE/UKCA certification needed for all technical hardware. 

I'm attempting to get an eta on it.

Standby

OP PaulJepson 10 May 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Thanks for the update! Has it been confirmed which country it's going to be done out of yet?

In reply to PaulJepson:

Hi Paul,

I have just spoken to the guys in Bolzano and it is in the pipeline for the 2nd half of this year.

I will confirm the country of service as soon as I have the information.

Thanks for everybody's patience on this.

In reply to PaulJepson:

It's not exactly local to you but Aspiring Safety in Christchurch, NZ just reslung (reslinged?) a load of my cams dating back as far as 1990.   Cost is approx 4.5GBP for a single sling and 6.5GBP for a double.

Not sure they'll ship to the UK but worth investigating. 

www.aspiring.co.nz/product/replacement-cam-hex-slings/

CantClimbTom 20 May 2021
In reply to John Southworth:

Wow that's cheap over there, for example DMM charge £12.00 (Inc p&p) per cam for UK. That's cheaper than 2/2 price!

OP PaulJepson 20 May 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I think dmm charge a bit less for hexes though, iirc. 

jimtitt 20 May 2021

> Wow that's cheap over there, for example DMM charge £12.00 (Inc p&p) per cam for UK. That's cheaper than 2/2 price!

At about £50 each way for a couple of cams plus the customs stuff it'd want to be cheap!

In reply to PaulJepson:

From a business point of view, I can't see the reslinging being cheap. There is a high demand for a limited supply. I would expect pricing to land equivalent to rock shoe resolving relative to purchase price leaving a similar is it worth it compared with new purchase dilemma. 

In reply to jimtitt:

For 50quid ew you’ll probably be able to ship 20odd cams. 
still way cheaper than buying a new set of cams and less wasteful too

Cobra_Head 20 May 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

When's our "right to repair" coming? 

Post edited at 16:04
 jimtitt 20 May 2021
In reply to John Southworth:

Well I just punched in 2kg to see the price, possibly the box could have been bigger. However on return to the UK there is the VAT to be paid plus the collection fee. The major hassle though is you risk them being destroyed and receiving a fine as they have lost their CE certification, only the manufacturer or their appointed agent are permitted to modify or repair certified equipment.

Twiggy Diablo 21 May 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Thanks for following up. I’ve got a few i need doing.

I love the old style Friends i’ve got, but if i’m honest i wouldn’t be tempted into buying any new ones unless the option to resling becomes available + a few people i know have said the same.

Howard J 22 May 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I know it is accepted that slings deteriorate with age, but have there been any cases of cam slings failing in real world use?

IPPurewater 22 May 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

It is easy enough to resling them with an 8mm stitched sling doubled through. You could fix the ends together with something like this

https://rockrun.com/collections/quickdraws/products/petzl-string-l

You could extend the gear with a sling draw, leaving the crab connected to the cam in place.

OP PaulJepson 22 May 2021
In reply to IPPurewater:

I'm aware of the available bodges.  

Andypeak 23 May 2021

> Wow that's cheap over there, for example DMM charge £12.00 (Inc p&p) per cam for UK. That's cheaper than 2/2 price!

I think DMM also replace the trigger wires on the cam as well and fully inspect. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...