UKC

Upgrading from Fenix 5 to 6X Pro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 07 Jan 2022

Just mulling over upgrading from Fenix 5 to 6X Pro, mainly for bigger screen, mapping and better battery life for Ultras etc.

Was debating the Solar but it doesn't really seem to be of too much use, perhaps may be in a few versions time.

Also i'm assuming the Fenix 5 has some residual value, not sure how much they are going for second hand in good condition ?

Anybody got a 6X and had a 5 care to chip in with thoughts ?

Dom Brown 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've got a 6X its a very capable bit of kit.

It's worth knowing that the 7 is expected literally any day now. 

The upgrade from the 5 to the 6 is fairly noticeable, the bigger screen is pretty handy.

But the 5 to the 7 is likely to be a very significant upgrade.

It is expected that the 7 will have a very good battery life and even better solar, but the 6 is more than capable of covering most ultra distances. (I think upwards of a day GPS time)

The 7 is likely to be a big wedge of cash, there are some very good deals on the 6 at the moment.

If the spec of 6X ticks your boxes, now is a cheap time to get one.

if you want the latest and greatest, and have cash to spend, I'd sit tight and check out the 7

elliot.baker 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

If you read the detailed DCRainMaker review on the solar one, he basically says it's a gimmick and doesn't add any extra time.

I have the 6X pro and the running (with GPS and HR monitor etc.) battery life is around 60hours. I don't imagine there are people that will be running for that long without time to charge their watch up!!

I only got mine a few months ago but I read on reddit and articles elsewhere that people have been saying the 7 is due any day now for years, and it's still not come, then I just read today that it wasn't at the recent big tech show CES. 

I sold my 735XT for £100 to get this one so I imagine you'd get a reasonable wodge of cash for yours, look on Facebook Marketplace.

Also use the "Topcashback" website because most of the retailers are on there and I got £90 cashback.

I absolutely love the watch. Love the mapping, the look, the battery life. Even took the time to make and load up workouts onto it this week and they've been really useful. 

neuromancer 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have a 6X sapphire, had a 5 (well, a tactix charlie), and a 3HR.

It's a more sophisticated product, and it feels it in the menus. Stuff is more slick. The battery is noticably better - the 5 couldn't do more than about 5-6hours on nav (a 4hr leg of the bob would take me from 100% to about 30%), whereas I think I might even get around the whole thing on one charge on the 6.

The mapping is much of a mutchness, no real change to me. Same with the screen - I had a tactix which is massive, but I think the 6X burgeons on being 'too big for a watch'.

I categorically wouldn't have upgraded if i didn't have to (work gave me the 5 and took it back). I would have just borrowed my other half's watch for alternate legs of a long run. I don't really go out and need nav solo for more than that (or if I do, I take a map!). 

HTH

Dom Brown 07 Jan 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

>I read on reddit and articles elsewhere that people have been saying the 7 is due any day now for years, and it's still not come, then I just read today that it wasn't at the recent big tech show CES. 

This is true. It has been expected for a long time now.

OP Dark-Cloud 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Dom Brown:

Cheers, 6x Pro looks to be about £450 at best which is a fair chunk off the launch price, I expect the 7 will be upwards of £800 at launch and although I can afford it I can’t justify it!

OP Dark-Cloud 07 Jan 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

Thanks, good to hear about battery life, my 5 got me through a 16 hour 50 but without HR and a few other bits switched off to preserve battery, if it was in nav it would have been done in a few hours. 

neuromancer 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Oh the other thing I forgot to say is I didn't bother with solar or Enduro because as a climber not having crystal is mad. 

midgen 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I just picked up a 6 pro from cex. Even if the 7 comes out tomorrow it's still a pretty solid buy at those prices imo, I'm sure the 7 will be at RRP for a fair while, and spec I want (Pro + Sapphire) will be eye-watering.

abcdef 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

just got 6x pro for £404 from jura watches, and annoyingly didn't realise i could also have got over 4% cashback from topcashback or quidco if I had went there first

Post edited at 15:07
OP Dark-Cloud 08 Jan 2022
In reply to abcdef:

Jura is where I was looking, didn’t see it that low though ?

OP Dark-Cloud 08 Jan 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

Enduro ?

I have seen some comparisons where the sapphire effects viewing angle and visibility in bright light, I think the Gorilla glass is pretty tough, not a mark on my 5 but I wouldn’t wear it climbing, not that I do much of that nowadays anyway

abcdef 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

currently 450 and the code EXTRA10 gives a further 10%, and they have interest free payment spread over a year if you want

OP Dark-Cloud 10 Jan 2022
In reply to abcdef:

Ooohhh, thanks for that, hadn't seen the 10% off, that makes it a bit of a steal, hopefully can use topcashback too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...