UKC

Using fabsil or similar or restore a rucksack lining

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thread moved from Hilltalk to Gear

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone has any pointers on restoring old linings to rucksacks?

I am wondering as i have 2 old berghaus rucksacks what i love. 

I read some where about using neat fabsil on the inside and was wondering if anybody had any experience/tips to restore the linings 

In reply to Thomas Hardbattle:

If it's a PU waterproof coating, things like Fabsil won't work, as they are water repellent treatments only.

Some had had success reproofing tent groundsheets with diluted silicone sealant; google for details.

Have you considered an appropriately sized lightweight drybag inside the rucksack?

In reply to WildAboutWalking:

...or the cheap and cheerful option, a rubblesack.

Toerag 05 Jan 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

or the even cheaper, cheerfuller option - binsack. It's worked for my scouts and I for years.

martynlj 05 Jan 2023

I would suggest the bin-liner/drybag option. I always use one anyway. I have tried the diluted silicone sealant approach on a tent flysheet. It works but the end result was a rather sticky finish which is not ideal. That may have been my poor technique. Spraying the outside of the sack with a waterproofing agent is likely to give a better result as the old fabric may absorb less water.

In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Hi,

Yeah ive tried dry sacks and i don't get along with them.

Billhook 05 Jan 2023

Or use a rucksack cover.

TobyA 05 Jan 2023

Quasi-serious question: how can you not get on with plastic bags or drys bags in a rucksack? First, what is there to not get on with? And second, it feels verging on being unpatriotic - we're British. We pack things inside our rucksacks in waterproof bags because it rains and because that's what we've always done. 

SFM 05 Jan 2023

If you really want the aggro then Barbour thornproof dressing works if applied on the outside. I’ve done it to restore the appearance of an old rucsac. Seams will still leak though. Functionally a liner works better. 

In reply to Billhook:

Fair point I'll give them a stab aswell 

In reply to TobyA:

> Quasi-serious question: how can you not get on with plastic bags or drys bags in a rucksack? First, what is there to not get on with? And second, it feels verging on being unpatriotic - we're British. We pack things inside our rucksacks in waterproof bags because it rains and because that's what we've always done. 

Yup absolutely. I've got a few small drybags that have set things in them that I can pack depending on what I'm going to do. Eg, one has headtorch, batteries, gaffer tape, tic tweezers, a wound dressing and a very compact bivvy bag and almost always goes in. Another one is a more complete first aid kit, another one has an emergency shelter and a blizzard blanket etc etc. Waterproofs, gear etc goes in loose. It makes it really easy to pack and to find things when I need to. If I'm with a group I can tell someone "look in the orange drybag" to find something specific.

A drysack to me is something different - a drybag with shoulder straps, a drybag rucksack, in other words. Very useful for portaging, or making a shore landing in a RIB, but not particularly comfortable compared to a modern rucksack (at least the 60 litre LOMO ones that we used weren't).

Is this what you mean?

In reply to pancakeandchips:

Colour coding bags works a treat when wild camping, too.

In reply to captain paranoia:

As an update I have used fabsil on the inside and outside of the ruckack after using a proofing wash and it seems to have worked relatively well as water now beads off. I have yet to test it in driving rain but in drizzle and light rain it seems to work nicely 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...