UKC

vaude? what do you think about this brand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
areks1111 25 Apr 2008
Hi! I'm new here. I would like buy a good tent for my trip to Scoland. I'm looking something lightweight (max 3,5kg), for 2 person and their backpacks. I've found http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/vaude_space_2_3_persons_dome_tent/ this one, but I'm not sure about quality of this brand. Does anybody use a vaude tent? I would like to know your opinion. I've chosed this, because it's really waterproof (head 5000mm and watertub 10000mm)and price seems fine. I don't want spend more than 170 pounds.
My second question is following. Is it thruth that wild camping in Scotland is legal?
 schloosh 25 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111:

I've got a Vaude Taurus Ultralite II.
No issues at all with the brand quality
Slugain Howff 25 Apr 2008
 erikb56 25 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111:
i've had a vaude tent for around 5/6 years and would buy another. the canopy has never leaked although the groundsheet has become slightly less waterproof with age. still i'm happy with it.
not so sure i'd choose a classic dome shaped tent though. there is a bit more height for comfort but they are more susceptible to wind. for that price i'd prefer the lighter hogan 2 man personally.
In reply to areks1111: Nothing wrong with the Vaude MkII long.

At least, nothing wrong that a porter or yak couldn't solve if you were going any distance.

T.
 Mikkel 25 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111:
i got a Hogan, and quality is realy good.
Material feels realy solid, and it has stood up to quite some storms.
 lynda 25 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111:
Our Vaude is brilliant. Lightweight and goes up in minutes.
mikeuk 25 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111:

I have used Vaude for 10 years or more, both for own use and Scouts

No problems with quality at all, my preference is for this sort
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/vaude_hogan_2_man_tent/

I like the pole fixing method, as opposed to the thread through sort
Mike
 Sarah R 25 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111:

I've been using my dads vaude Mark II and couldn't fault it - I've jusr recently bought a Hogan 2man and i would recommend it to anyone! It's spacious but stil light and there's a sizeable porch for gear!
cahotic 25 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111:
> Hi! I'm new here. I would like buy a good tent for my trip to Scoland.
> My second question is following. Is it thruth that wild camping in Scotland is legal?

The short answer is 'Yes.' However, it's worth being discreet, some landowners still think they have the right to shoot anybody who didn't go to private school that they find camping on their land.

Matt
duckman 30 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111: As long as you don't take the mickey you will be fine.(i.e Dont pitch right outside the backdoor of a hunting lodge someone is paying 2 grand a day to rent) are you listening I*** G****?
 tommcdonna 30 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111:

I've got the Mk III, which will be more than you want, but quality's great and it's incredibly easy to put up.

Bought mine from a shop in Germany (sorry, I don't remember the name) for considerably less than it was available for in the UK at the time.

My Aunt's got the Hogan or Taurus on my recommendation, can't remember which, for lightweight cycle camping. She's had nothing but good things to say about it.
 Merlin 30 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111: Poles they use are a bit pants I'be broken one and heard of others breaking them too (Mark II).

Also the ground sheet on the Mark II isn't very waterproof in very wet weather.

Apart from that, good solid designs.
In reply to Merlin: really? mines fine and has been virtually blown flat in the lakes in winter and snowdonia on occasion. always popped back up and been fine.
also used VauDe in kenya for 10+ years and for a trip to iceland one summer. can't complain, specially for the price
 argyle_dude 30 Apr 2008
I have a Vaude, not sure which model, piss easy and quick to put up, however, the ground sheet is no longer 100% waterproof and there is damp coming through when you apply pressure
 Jack B 30 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111:

Ive used my brother's VauDe Hoagan ultralight a bit, and I got it wrecked (my fault - it's an ultralight tent, not designed for very high winds), VauDe replaced the broken pole sections free of charge, and I was able to repair the flysheet. I would strongly recommend them as a manufacturer, though as with some of the others on here, the dome tent wouldn't be my first choice, their other tents are probably stronger and/or lighter. for long distance backpacking I would tend towards something smaller and lighter than that.

With regards to wild camping, yes it is legal. Wild camping means what it says though, not roadside camping, nor 30 people for a week. There is IIRC also a legal requirement on you to act responsibly, and respect other users, particularly the landowners. If you make a mess, wantonly interrupt a shoot etc. you can loose your right to camp. If it's you and a friend, camping high, cleaning up after yourselves and moving on each day, you will be absolutely fine.
 Merlin 30 Apr 2008
In reply to Southampton Tom: Yes.
 KA_R36 30 Apr 2008
In reply to areks1111:
loved our ferret3 now too small with 2 kids. trying out our new space4 this weekend in snowdonia - this one has a footprint.
areks1111 02 May 2008
many thanks guys! Your opinions were very helpful

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...