UKC

Via-Ferrata and klettersteig sets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mmmhumous 26 Feb 2013
I was planning to buy my first Via Ferrata Set, but think I might wait until after May once the UIAA have decided if the relevant standard needs updating, following the second round of product recalls: http://www.thebmc.co.uk/more-via-ferrata-sets-are-recalled

I did have a question though:

I’ve used several hire sets in the past, and am aware that after taking a fall on a tear-webbing based set, the kit should be discarded, because it’s... well.... torn.

However, the UIAA report infers this is also the case for a rope/friction based set too. Obviously if the fall in question is big as in >factor 2, this would be a sensible thing to do. For smaller falls though(i.e. factor 0.5 to factor 2), I thought you could just reset the lanyard, and reuse it. Is this not the case?
 Monk 26 Feb 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

Pretty much all VF falls will be greater than factor 2 if they trigger the lanyards to rip/pull through.
 Nick_Scots 26 Feb 2013
In reply to mmmhumous: You cannot reuse it after a fall. It's not just the tear/rip section that takes the load, the whole set takes a load.

Just like if you fall on a quickdraw, you really need to replace it.

Some French guides I have seen on Via Ferratas have a rope between the party. Especially on the routes with 'pig tail' bolts.
 Neil Williams 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Scott_vzr:

"Just like if you fall on a quickdraw"

Er, wha? Why would you need to replace a quickdraw because you took a fall on it any more than you would replace your harness, rope or whatever because of one fall? Unless you're referring to FF2s, of course, where that might well be a sensible choice.

You're not wrong about VF sets, but that's because they're designed to be "one-shot" because of the high fall factors.

Neil
In reply to Scott_vzr:
> (In reply to mmmhumous)
>
> Just like if you fall on a quickdraw, you really need to replace it.
>
> Wow! Looks like Sports Climbing is going to get very expensive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...