UKC

Via ferrata kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kush 17 Apr 2013
Hi All, I'm after advice on buying Via Ferrata kit to attach to my harness, are there any that I should avoid.
 BStar 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Kush:

Yes there are ones you should certainly avoid, there was a major recall of products a couple of years ago, a full list of these can be found on the net (I'm on a phone right now so I can't link you). This should only be a problem if buying 2nd hand.
Kush 17 Apr 2013
In reply to BStar: Thanks for the reply, if you get the chance and time could you please send me the link, I tried to find some info last night but the info seemed very poor.

Kush
 Davvers 17 Apr 2013
 Monkey_Alan 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Kush:
https://thebmc.co.uk/concern-over-via-ferrata-sets-prompts-emergency-uiaa-m...
and
https://thebmc.co.uk/more-via-ferrata-sets-are-recalled

As Bstar said, buying new shouldn't be a problem. If you're buying second hand, check the manufacturer's website for recall notices before you pay.
Kush 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan: Thanks to everybody for the info, I will seek more advice at the climbing shops this weekend, when I travel to Hathersage, before returning to the alps.

Kush
 David Barratt 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Kush: All rope friction systems were recalled. you won't see them in the shope though. the rest is just down to ease of use. the nicest clips are more expensive.
 Run_Ross_Run 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Kush:
Ive got an unused Mammut (non recalled) VF kit thats for sale. Boxed and still with tags. Let me know via my profile if ur interested and ill mail you details. ( your profile wont allow me to send it to you directly).
Cheers.
Darren.
 Blinder 17 Apr 2013
In reply to David Barratt:
> (In reply to Kush) All rope friction systems were recalled. you won't see them in the shope though. the rest is just down to ease of use. the nicest clips are more expensive.

'All rope friction systems were recalled' I am not sure about this, it was my understanding that it was the elasticated lanyards that where the problem.
 Monkey_Alan 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Blinder:
> (In reply to David Barratt)
> [...]
>
> 'All rope friction systems were recalled' I am not sure about this, it was my understanding that it was the elasticated lanyards that where the problem.

That was the original problem identified last year, the rope brake recall (Second link in my previous post) is a separate issue brought up this February.
 Blinder 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan: I did not know that.
 Gone 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan:

Some rope friction systems are recalled. I have a Kong system with both an elasticated lanyard and a rope friction plate, and it has not been subject to either recall.
XXXX 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Blinder:

I have a Petzl Zyper friction system and this is not currently being recalled. (Although you can be sure I'll be checking it before I use it again!)
 Pete Potter 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Eric the Red: Have a look at the link below. Petzl give some very straight forward information about their Via ferrata lanyards and where to go for information about other brands.
http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/viaferrata-safety-information
 Tim Sparrow 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Kush: I have an Edelrid rope brake system with non elasticated lanyards and that is not on the recall list either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...