UKC

Walking-in mountain boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bensward 19 Jan 2018

Hello,

I have a pair of new La Sportiva G2 SM boots which I will need to use for a climb in April. I'd normally walk-in any boots before using them properly. They're, however, rather warm and not that suitable at ground level in London.

What do people recommend? Not to wear them in? We're them round town? Or is there even a need to wear them in?

Thanks,

Ben

GarethSL 19 Jan 2018
In reply to bensward:

I bought some G2's last week and have been using them, without breaking in, whilst in Cogne. They are actually surprisingly comfortable out of the box, mine are even a whole size smaller than my normal shoe size. They were a little sore in places to start thought a number of long walk-ins haven't helped. No blisters or serious pain. 

I would suggest wearing them indoors a few times to soften up the bootie. Otherwise I don't think it's much of an issue. 

If you wear them for a few hours at a medium tightness, you will identify any hot spots that you can preemptively tape if needs be.

If you want to be really extreme, you could always soak the booties and mooch around the house in them as they dry to mould/ soften them. But that's probably overkill.

Damn good boot tho!

bensward 19 Jan 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

Perfect - thanks Gareth. Good to hear they're a good boot!

GoneFishing111 19 Jan 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

Im going to buy some boots for some summer alpine routes (i might venture up to Scotland but id rather not) and ive read that you should size up in B2 boots, having them anywhere near approaching tight being a massive no-no?

Edit: the sizing up being for circulation and big socks.

Post edited at 21:54
 Dave the Rave 19 Jan 2018
In reply to bensward:

They will break you in

Billhook 20 Jan 2018
In reply to bensward:

Ben,  I'd 'break them in' first. 

Surely you can find a couple of miles walking in or around london?

Most modern boots are far kinder on the feet than old solid leather boots of old, They may feel comfortable and a good fit now, but just one small blister or annoying pressure point may well spoil your April outing.

spenser 20 Jan 2018
In reply to GoneFishing111:

The sizing up also reduces the amount by which your toe bangs on the end of the boot which reduces the chance of you killing your toenail and it falling off!

Simon Caldwell 20 Jan 2018
In reply to bensward:

These days the main reason to break boots in isn't to soften them, but to make sure they are suitable for your feet and don't rub or give you blisters. If they do then you can work out a preventative taping system, or even replace the boots. Better done before the start of your trip.

bensward 20 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave Perry:

I definitely can. Just feel it would look a bit weird walking round London in them and probably wouldn't be too comfortable! A mixed set of responses - probably some benefit of walking-them-in to make sure the fit's fine. Not critical to walk-them-in for miles as it's not to break them in / soften them per se.

Thanks all

olddirtydoggy 20 Jan 2018
In reply to bensward:

Shoot up to the Brecons or Dartmoor for a couple of days and give them a proper test drive.

Billhook 21 Jan 2018
In reply to bensward:

There's a few large parks in London and from what I've seen on my rare visits I'm sure there's plenty of other things for people to look at !  Anyway dress scruffily and folk will think they're work boots.

But it is worth doing. Even though they fit well, when you first walk in them they might be the odd place which presses and causes some irritation or discomfort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...