UKC

walking pole advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Smith 28 Nov 2012
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a pair of poles for UK winter/alpine approaches. I dont have loads of money so they don't need to be state of the art super light jobs, just something that does that does the trick!

They'll need to be able to be packable inside my bag (35l), preferably easy and quick to adjust length, and have an adjustment system that works well in the cold (my old ones were a twist lock thing which stopped working when they were in the cold for too long, fine for the walk-in but not the walk-out!), they also need to be durable enough to deal with a bit of abuse picking my way through moraine type approaches.

Cheers!

James

P.s. if anyone is selling any that fit the bill i might be interested!
In reply to James S: TBH you will struggle to find many poles, especially cheap ones, that remotely pack into most 35litre packs.

The only ones I am aware of that definitely will are the new top of the range Black Diamond ones with their cool Z-pole technology, but the RRP of them is close to £100.

Pretty much everything else on the market is 55cm+ in collapsed length.
 tom84 28 Nov 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

ive got the BD carbon z-poles and they are worth the spend, i think a pair come in at 350 grammes. used them on rough alpine approaches/descents and as long as youre careful they fine. they fit no problem into my 35.
 jezb1 28 Nov 2012
In reply to mountassguard: black diamond ones are the ones to go for as mentioned.

V12 did have an offer on them a while ago, no idea if its still on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...