UKC

Wanted Karrimor Alpiniste hip belt buckle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SiWood 12 Oct 2020

I am hoping to resurrect my old Karrimor Alpiniste (80s classic purple version made out of an old pair of Dougal Haston's jeans no doubt ). The hip belt buckle (blue plastic Karrimor design) is broken. Does any one know of a route to source one of these (antiques roadshow perhaps!) or have one that may fit the bill that is surplus to requirements. 

My backup plan would be to just go with a modern fastex but that wouldn't be in keeping with the retro look !

Post edited at 17:41
 Ridge 12 Oct 2020
In reply to SiWood:

I coveted that purple model in the 80's, but ended up going for the cheaper Haston Vallot.

Doesn't help but I do have the original blue buckle, but it's attached to my still functional Vallot, (one of which was advertised recently on ebay for £79!)

Edit: These people will kindly make you a copy for 600 USD!

https://alpine-luddites.myshopify.com/collections/classic-backpacks

Post edited at 18:00
 Philip 12 Oct 2020
In reply to SiWood:

Maybe not needed, but I think Alpkit offer a repair service for old gear. In case you prefer industrial quality stitching on the repaired buckle.

johnt 12 Oct 2020
In reply to SiWood:

Try Lancashire Sport Repairs - they supplied me with one a few years ago....

marsbar 12 Oct 2020
In reply to SiWood:

Someone may be able to 3D print one for you, but I don't know if the plastic is the right type.  

Robert Durran 12 Oct 2020
In reply to SiWood:

It is possible I have one at home, but I might not be home for week. Shall try to remember to look.

Robert Durran 12 Oct 2020
In reply to SiWood:

Is this one what you are looking for? This one is kind of of sentimental value from the stuff I did with it thirty years ago (and still in use on my climbing wall sack!), but is never fastened, so I might part with it if I don't have another!

Edit: Just noticed you want a blue one. Just possible my ancient blue Haston Vallot has one if I have it still!

Post edited at 19:00

OP SiWood 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

that's the type

Post edited at 21:17
OP SiWood 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Philip:

Thanks for the suggestion

OP SiWood 12 Oct 2020
In reply to johnt:

good idea. Have used them to repair some well cramponed and ski edged goretex trousers. I see they repair sacs as well

OP SiWood 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Ridge:

flip an egg! That's even more expensive than a brand new mountain equipment sac!!

Myfyr Tomos 12 Oct 2020
In reply to SiWood:

I broke mine as well, years and years ago. Contacted Karrimor - in Accrington, and they sent me a replacement free of charge but it was black! I had to chop the end of the webbing and re-sew it though.

oldie 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> I broke mine as well, years and years ago. Contacted Karrimor - in Accrington, and they sent me a replacement free of charge but it was black! I had to chop the end of the webbing and re-sew it though. <

Unless one's worried about the "look" you can  avoid resowing a buckle by removing the old halves with a hacksaw. Then attach any similar buckle by threading cord (eg light pull type) through the empty webbing tunnel, pass each end through a top of the the attachment slit in the buckle then back through the tunnel joining them with a knot. Seems as strong as the original.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...