UKC

Warm and rainproof gear for babies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jussy 21 Jan 2013
Looking to buy my 6 month old a warm rainproof jacket or bodysuit that he can wear for walks in the hills. We have a nice pair of warm snow saloppettes already which are brilliant but the jacket we have isn't great...

Can anybody recommend a good place to look / good brands for babies?

Tried some jackets from Patagonia outlet and found the arms way too long and the body quite shortunately unfort...

Thanks!
 marsbar 21 Jan 2013
In reply to jussy: My niece had one like this, it was great. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/regatta-puddle-ii-suit-kids-p106611
 NorthernGrit 21 Jan 2013
In reply to jussy:

We had a regatta as above while she wasn't moving about too much. Just layered it with fleece/jumpers underneath.

She's now got a columbia two piece and I can't fault it. Friends have recommended spotty otter stuff but I've not used them myself.

How are you carrying him? I'd definitely recommend a rain cover for your carrier too.
Little Dave of Sheffield 21 Jan 2013
In reply to jussy: / we have a trespass all in one which is very good and I would recommend this although it will be much the same as similar offers from other brands.
 WILLS 21 Jan 2013
In reply to jussy: we use spotty otter gear. But been looking at the little buffalo stuff. Spotty otter stuff is great, but expensive. So keep your eye on ebay.
 Stig 22 Jan 2013
In reply to jussy: we use polarn o pyret. My 3 yr old has had two wind proof flleeces and a waterproof. He loves them and prefers them to restrictive high st jackets so although they seem expensive he wears them every day in the winter. We buy them on eBay anyway and they wear so well you can sell them on.

They do excellent waterproof mitts as well.

I know you have salopettes but we have a £10 pair from aldi - very good quality, worth checking out if you need some.
 Monk 22 Jan 2013
In reply to jussy:

We've had waterproof suits from Regatta and High Gear - both seem to work well at keeping wind and water out. For warmth, I think the two best suits we've had have been from Columbia - one fleece one and one down one. Both kept the kids toasty.
OP jussy 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Monk:

Thanks for the replies everyone!
 ianslade 22 Jan 2013
In reply to jussy:

Have a look at this website, http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/browse/5b48623f80e13839a635d...

My daughter has a waterproof, fleece lined, down suit that as you can imagen is very warm and it was perfect when I carried her in a child carrier. It's made by Spotty Otter, I think their product line is very good and I have now bought her the fleece line salopets.
 mike123 22 Jan 2013
In reply to jussy: littletrekkers website have regular sales, most of our collection have come from there
 Nutkey 22 Jan 2013
In reply to jussy:
We used:
Regatta waterproof layer, over a Columbia fleece all in one, over normal clothes, over merino base layer (also very useful as a base layer at night when camping), with gloves and Stonz booties, quite often with the rain cover up on the carrier too to keep the wind off. Oh, and a balaclava!

Can find out where we got the merino from if you like, it's pricey (well, less than most of my kit!) but excellent.

OP jussy 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Nutkey:

Yes, where did you get the Merino stuff for? That sounds great.

And how old was your little one when you first took them camping?
 ianslade 22 Jan 2013
In reply to jussy: My wife and I took a three week road trip driving round France.

We spent a week in the south of France in a cabin, but ever other night was under cavas, she was absoulutly fine and only 6 months old.

I also bought her some ice breaker and Kathmandu mareno base layers, they are fantastic, however I bought them from New Zealand so may be a little harder to find.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...